Please help Convince me to Switch!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Frisco, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Hello! I hate to admit it but I am a PC user. I am thinking of switching over to the MAC world. I have always wanted to get a MAC, I guess I just followed the crowd and bought a PC.

I know that MACs are pretty much the standard in the Audio world, which is what I mostly use my PC for now--Audio editing, recording, remixing, etc. Software I use Cubase, ProTools, Reason.

Before I make the decision of whether or not to "Switch" I would like some feedback as to the advantages of Macs over PCs in this area.

Please help convince me to Switch!

Thanks,

Frisco

2. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

3. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

advantages of macs over pcs:
    -a mac can easily last 5 years or more while a pc usually needs replacing every other year due to the new os thats out...so well worth the money
    -all in one (imac/emac) and they dont follow PC trends (ie gateway)
    -they design their own computers that woo millions of people world wide (g4 imac/powerbook)
    -ipod is a beautiful creation and originally made ONLY for macs
    -no need to worry about bsods/stupid errors/crashing
    -easy to use
    -osx has a beautiful ui...while xp has a fisher price ui
    -dont have to worry about palladium/activation
    -mac os x is cheaper than xp...and ALOT better
    -mac osx is based on unix while windows is based on nt...
    -all macs (excl g3 imac and some ibooks) have either cd burner/combo drive/super drive
    -if u miss windows, make sure u have enough ram n u could install vpc with windows hexpee on it

disadvantages:
    -cant customize vid card on imac/emac
    -price...but then again a mac lasts a LONG time
    -one button mouse
    -still includes os9....until jan 1st
    -doesnt have a floppy drive...but thats not really a disadvantage :p
    -superdrive is too slow for the price

i might be getting a powermac in a few months :)

4. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

and if janie porche cant save you from the pc world....then she cant save xmas *sniff* lol jk

Attached Files:

5. pilotgi macrumors regular

It's the chicks, man.

Chicks dig guys who use Macs.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Please help Convince me to Switch!

sounds like you're already convinced.

i've been using macs for audio since 1986. i'm an early motu performer user. now i do most of my work in protools.

all the big players -- digidesign, motu, emagic -- concentrate their support on the mac platform.

steinberg is the major player who seems to regard PCs as important, but not at the expense of the mac platform.

my h/w recommendations are always based on the s/w someone wants to run. music s/w is the domain of the mac, so get a mac.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good enough reason?

;)

Attached Files:

8. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Okay Thanks for all the info guys. I can't wait to get a Mac. I think that they are so cool!!!

PCs are just too boring for me :(

Frisco

9. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

ya...i thought xp wouldve been exciting...was for 2 min (first time i used it) then it got boring since...and mac os is an exciting os, i was basically drooling when i used mac os x for the first n 2nd time (ive only used it twice btw) n i never got that feeling with windows :S lol
    if your gonna get an all-in-one mac, get either a 17" imac or an emac (since 15" isnt that much of screen space) or else get a dual powermac since you can put on a 23" apple lcd if u have the money ;)

if you feel like getting a dual PMac: http://www.macworld.com/2002/11/features/benchmark.html n btw the ddr ones are the ones that are the current series

10. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah currently I am running WinXP too. Although it is a great improvement over WinMe there just is no desire or excitement to use it like the feeling I get when I play with a Mac at COMPUSA. Boy that sales guy must be getting sick of me:)

Everytime I use XP I get a message to install new updates. Mostly all security issues updates. I've had enough!!

11. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Ever had a virus?

Ever deleted a .dll cause you thought it was unused and broken your system?

Dislike spyware?

Sick of crappy software?

How 'bout BIOS?

Blue screen of what?

Dislike M$ automatically updating/controlling/breaking/resetting things without your knowledge?

IRQ == WTF???????

Plug and pray...

Windows + security = oxymoron

M$ + Passport = your financial identity (in the hands of M$)

M$ Licensing 6.0

Windows is either fugly or Fisher Price

The Cons:
    The Mac doesn't handle .avi files well at all

The Finder still needs speed improvements in 1000+ file folders

The hardware is slower in raw speed and more expensive, however, the amazing stabilty and increased productivity counter this nicely. The Mac OS is more intuitive, and multitasks better than Windows, so much of the raw speed gain is lost on Windows users. Also, with the industry average downtime at 40 hours per year on Win2k, and 16 hours a year on OS9, the Mac already had the advantage. In a well administered workplace the Mac OS number is now likely below 8. That's 24-32 hours of processing time lost per work year because of Windows problems.

12. big macrumors 65816

big

look, not to discourage you, but OSX has its fair share of security updates too...

though they are for the good of your computer. Plus you're running Unix, which is KNOWN to be the best system out there. better than DOS, WIN, OS9, etc etc

Man Unix is stout! I had several friends try to crack into my box (they have no problems with windows Xp or below) and could not get in...

they did manage to break through my router (which was scary, cause they rewrote the rom for me! what nice friends...I guess I asked for it though)

13. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

OSX has no shortage of security updates, but, unlike M$, Apple & the open source community are PROACTIVE, fixing vulnerabilties as quiclkly as possible. Many of these security updates will not require a restart.

M$ has a long history of hiding their security flaws, and leaving your computer vulnerable for months. Even when an exploit is made public, a patch can take weeks to surface. To call them REACTIVE would be a very generous overstatement.

Apple & the open source community recognize flaws, explain how to disable the vulnerability, and issue fixes in a timely manner.

While it is an annoyance, it is a small price to pay for security.

Apple wants to make money by being the Mercedes Benz of computing, well built, long lasting, carefully thought out, and well designed.

M$ wants to make money by being Honda, cheap enough that everyone can afford, runs pretty good for a while, everything is OK, nothing is excellent, but ultimately, a disposable solution. Also, if you don't want an M$ car (Windows), they also offer motorcycles (Office), generators (games), lawnmowers (PocketPC/Windows CE), etc.

I think it was Forrest Gump that said 'Computers are like hookers, the good ones cost more'.

At the end of the day, its a question of taste...

14. big macrumors 65816

big

ok when did Forrest Gump say that? That's ubsurd....He did however, invest in Apple stock (unbeknownst to him)

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What would you rather hear?

"Cool looking computer"

or

"Dude, you got a Dell"

Seems many people would rather:

Attached Files:

16. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

bahhhhhhh.... right now i have 2 use the onscreen keyboard since the keyboard isnt working right now... i get bored REALLY easily whenever i go 2 the local computer store cuz they dont sell macs anymore :(...used to stay there for an hr easily looking around at the diff puters...now theres not even one mac lol...

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Check out teabg's monkey switch. If that doens't convince you, nothing will.

18. macmax macrumors regular

i own an imac, ibook and a supposedly very powerful,gasp,ohh god how can i say this? pc

well , the pc has gone to the shop 4 times in ten moths due to whatever she feels should getrepaired, because something is always wrong and damage .
    the macs on the other side are always working.
    i will never attemp the outrageous ,awful, not manlike act of buying a pos pc.

i am about to go cry now, that is my confession .
    may the power of the lord and men come bashing my skull with an ardent sword!!!!
    ohhh god , i don't know what i was thinking about.

19. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Re: Please help Convince me to Switch!

OK, first of all, now is the time to get a Mac! Certainly for Audio stuff (and everything else!) - you just can't beat it. With 10.2, OS X has really come of age, and the things that have been spoken about a lot in the audio world as "great, and coming soon" have now been fully implemented into the OS.

Stuff like CoreAudio - in OS 9, in Windows, different formats exist(ed) for the drivers that allowed your hardware/software to communicate - ASIO, DirectX, Apple Sound Manager, MAS (MOTU Digital Performer etc), DAE (Digidesign's Protools), which meant that your system could sometimes get a bit complicated. Developers couldn't really concentrate on one standard, because they had to be compatible with all sorts of formats (a bit like the writing for mish-mash PC components rather than the uniformness of the Mac/MacOS). You had to select which type of device/driver you were using out of a big choice in all the different apps you were using. CoreAudio in MacOS X doesn't need any other drivers to work - it just works. The drivers needed to communicate with the hardware are built into the OS (or at least will be - but for the moment, the CoreAudio drivers needed will come with your hardware, and they're already ready for products from MOTU, Midiman, Steinberg etc.) - and, skipping the extra link of having to go from the OS to software, software to driver, driver to Hardware (and back again), means a BIG performance increase. A lot of peeps drag on about "latency" - the delay it takes your computer to take the input of audio/midi data, process it, and output it back out to ur speakers, which sometimes can be unmanageable. But, OS9 and even 98/XP still had very good latency - around 10ms if you had a good card/driver. But with CoreAudio (and CoreMIDI, the MIDI equivalent - replacing OMS in OS8/9), it's been seen to be less than 1 ms - pretty mental if you ask me!! That means that the delay that COULD (if you hadn't got your system set up right, with hardware mixers/monitor mixers etc) mean others got a standalone harddisk recorder because it just "worked", has now almost vanished (it can only get better) - practically taking away any negative things to using a computer for audio as compared to a standalone unit (and coupled with OSX's stability/performance/multi cpu support, which is great!).

Also, the different software/hardware manufacturers used to (and still probably will do - they have the choice) write plugins in their native format, which meant Digidesign/MOTU/Steinberg all had different plugin (effects etc.) types. And you couldn't easily switch. But with X, again, the plugins are called "Audio Units", and they can be all written in a universal format that all programs will understand - it makes your system much more together and cleaner, and everything will work much much better.

You won't seen any of those important features in any version of Windows (or indeed OS9!). The fact is, Apple seems to have recognised that the pro audio market is a big market for apple, so OS X is actually built with Audio pros/semi-pros in mind - it's not an afterthought that needs extra things added on to it in order to work.

Bottom line: OS 10.2 is very fast, incredibly stable (despite trying to crash it with as many audio tracks/plugins/overloaded MIDI data as possible, it hasn't crashed on my DP867 once yet!), a joy to use, and very powerful/flexible.

I love using my Mac, it seems to inspire creativity, whereas, I must say (I've used both platforms for a lot of work), the opposite is true with any version of windows I've used. And, even people who I work with that have grown up with PCs would love a Mac (actually, *every single* person), but it mostly comes down to money. Not that there's a massive price gap, but a lot of people don't realise that the relatively small price increase means you're going to get a system you love and that helps you, not something you just use. Your Mac will help your creativity, and the bit of extra money is SO worth it. You'll make it back 10-fold in the long run by the amount of time you save by using the stable/flexible OS!

Plus, everything, right from installing the software/hardware in your computer, to burning the finished CD in the built in CDR, is so much easier and nicer to use.

If you go for the Mac, you've just added on to the 90+% of audio professionals that already love and respect the platform :)

PS, if you don't already know - Logic is out for OS X now, Cubase SX will be out on Oct 10th, Reason 2 was one of the first OS X native apps out, and protools 6 for X will hopefully be out by the end of november. Hardware drivers for most popular interfaces are already out.

20. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

WoW! I am amazed at how helpful you guys have been! It seems to me like the Mac users are a tightly knit community. I have never gotton this much feedback from anyone in the PC Community. Thank You!

I am actually a little embaressed being a PC user, however I don't plan on being a PC user too much longer.

Like I mentioned I have always liked MACs much more than PCs, it's just that PCs are the norm in the corporate world. I guess I didn't think outside the box or as you guys would say "Think Different."

When I think of my PC I think Blah.Blah.Blah! It's nothing exciting to work on. And yes even WinXP crashes, what I am surprised at is how often Windows Media Player crashes. I noticed that with the new beta Media Player that just got released that they copied some of the features from i-Tunes, like the rating of songs. They couldn't have done a worse job.

i-pod, i-Mac, and i-tunes are just some of the things that attract me to Macs. I also love the looks of the PowerBook and the New Dual Towers have the best looking design I have ever saw in a computer. I know they have i-pod for Windows now, but it uses MusicMatch software which I am not crazy about. I have yet to find a MP3 software program that I am crazy about for Windows are there are so many that you'd think that someone would get in right.

I know that there is so much more freeware available for PCs, but too tell u the truth I have yet to find any that I really get use out of.

I guess it's not the quantity of software available that matters but rather the quality of the software that you need to use. And it seems like all the software that I use is now or soon be available for OS X and I know Apple products are of high quality. I'll take 3 high quality applications over 1000 low quality apps (Windows) anyday!

Thanks again for taking the time out to answer a few questions. You guys have been most helpful.

Frisco

PS: I am counting on a cell phone from Apple in the near future :)

21. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

Being a recent switcher myself, coming from a 2 year old compaq presario to a 17 inch iMac, i have found that along with the vast superiority of the mac itself, which has already been discussed, came an incredible fanbase, one that can not be found in the peecee world. its amazing how exciting it is, and how hyped up people get waiting up all night for apple to release computers with 250 mhz added to each processor, or even the release of a calendar application (the coolest calendar app in the world might i add). i've found these forums to be incredibly helpful as well, though u might have figured that already. I've found the switch to be one of the most satisfying experience in my life, hopefully oyu will too.:)

And then there's ellen feiss, if u havent been persuaded already:p

22. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

Re: Good enough reason?

whats THAT.

23. gopher macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Good enough reason?

That is what is commonly known as the Blue Screen of Death on a PC. Well on the Mac you get a blue screen sometimes with no text, but that's the blue screen of life! It indicates your startup was successful and you will proceed to the next step.

24. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

thats the blue screen in nt/2k/xp, right? when my 98 SE box crashes (once a day, around the same time each day too) it looks different.

edit: oh, i canb answer my own question, it says "ntoskrnl.exe" crashed.:D

25. Sherman macrumors regular

.dll's must die

You see, here's the thing. Both OS9 and ME were built on the older oses, 6 and 3.1/DOS. While Apple went and made something COMPLETELY new and different to get rid of all the bad things about the old system, such as extensions, poor multi-tasking, protected memory and the like, M$ just went and put a new face and about 4 new features and called it a whole new OS.

XP is still using registries (omfg, must kill) and .dll files. On a daily basis I've seen PC's getting "Cannot find explorer.exe"
    "run32.dll has caused a fatal error, and will now be shot"

It's just like, DAMN!