Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phorbin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
My power mac crapped out on me the other day. It first wasn't recognizing the front USB port then it just flipped off and never came back on. When I press the power button nothing happens. I tried pressing the PMU reset button and nothing happened. I tried taking out the battery and still no results. My guess is it is either the power supply or the logic board. Is there any way to find out what is the problem without taking it into apple and paying a fortune. I'd like to try to fix it myself if possible. Or does anyone have any recommendations for repair shops. I live in the chicagoland area.
Thanks a bunch.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
there has been some issues with the water cooling system leaking onto the logicboard, I think Apple has a service repair for that, but I could be wrong. If you have Apple Care it should cover it.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
there has been some issues with the water cooling system leaking onto the logicboard, I think Apple has a service repair for that, but I could be wrong. If you have Apple Care it should cover it.

Only the PowerMac G5 Dual Proc 2.5, Dual-core 2.7 and Quad-core 2.5 have liquid cooling, so if you don't have one of those three, it's not this problem. You would also notice the liquid inside the machine. It doesn't happen too often. Mine is still working fine.

I'd recommend trying to unplug the machine for a couple of hours. If it doesn't come on after that, your best bet is to take it to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorised Service Retailer.

phorbin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Yes it is a liquid cooled 2.5 Ghz but there is no coolant leaking out. I have no apple care plan and I bought the mac back in 2004. Can I buy the apple care plan now and get it fixed or should I just take it in? I am trying to do this repair as cheap as possible.
Thanks again

phorbin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Well my mac falls just outside that magic range of serial numbers, so it looks like I am off the the apple store. Anyone know how much I should expect for this repair? I am hoping it is only the power supply then it shouldn't be so bad but if it is the logic board then it is going to get pricey. I'd like to get a new macPro but I'd rather wait for the new ones with 10.5 pre installed and stuff. I need my mac back. Windows just pisses me off.
Thanks y'all
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.