Please Help! Disk images won't mount!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mileslong, Sep 27, 2006.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

all of a sudden no applications will install. they wont give a complete disk image. i repaired the permissions, there used to only be a few that ever needed correcting but now there was like a 100.

i did it but it still wont finish downloading anything including the new itunes, it hangs when getting to installing it. here are some the errors messages that keep popping up.

please help me with any suggestions, im totally lost here!

System Extension Cannot Be Used!

The system extension "/System/Library/ExtensionsSystem.kext/plugins/libkern.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it it or conact the products vendor for an update.

there are several other messages that are similar but have slightly different messages probably having to do with other programs i have tried to install such as:

plugins/bsdkernal.kext
    plugins/unsupported.kext
    plugins/mach.kext
    plugins/iokit.kext
    extensions/iohiofamily,kext

something isnt letting the computer create the disk image, any ideas?

i have an intel i mac btw...

2. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

also when i try to launch a discimage the error message says:

The following disc images failed to mount:

image: itunes.dmg

reason: device not configured

3. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you CONTROL-CLICK on the DMG, what does it say it should be opening with? :)

5. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

madjew, thanks once again for always trying to help. when i control/click it says open with: diskimagemounter (default) it also says that:

Disk Description : Messenger600.dmg Disk Write Status : Not mounted
    Connection Bus : Disk Image

it just wont mount an image anymore. there are also a lot of new stuff when i run disk utility to repair permissions that werent there before and repairing doesnt do anything

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, maybe show us what Disk Utility is showing when you try to repair your permissions. Also, can you mount them directly from Disk Utility? Does it give the same error? :)

7. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

when i tried from disk utility it just says that "disk image not mounted".

i will try to post some of the info from disk utility but there are like a hundred different permission requests now, its crazy.

8. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

this is just the first part of them, this is after being repaired or tried to repair.

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Determining correct file permissions.
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/.localized, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/.localized
    Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/.localized, reason Operation not permitted
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Info.plist, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Info.plist
    Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Info.plist, reason Operation not permitted
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/PkgInfo, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/PkgInfo
    Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/PkgInfo, reason Operation not permitted
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAction.tiff, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAction.tiff
    Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAction.tiff, reason Operation not permitted
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAction_Pressed.tiff, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAction_Pressed.tiff
    Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAction_Pressed.tiff, reason Operation not permitted
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAlertTriangle.tif, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAlertTriangle.tif
    Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAlertTriangle.tif, reason Operation not permitted
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABApplicationSuite.scriptSuite, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABApplicationSuite.scriptSuite
    Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABApplicationSuite.scriptSuite, reason Operation not permitted
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABApplicationSuite.scriptTerminology, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABApplicationSuite.scriptTerminology
    Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABApplicationSuite.scriptTerminology, reason Operation not permitted
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAutoBackupPrefsModule.tif, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAutoBackupPrefsModule.tif
    Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABAutoBackupPrefsModule.tif, reason Operation not permitted
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABGeneralPrefsModule.tif, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABGeneralPrefsModule.tif
    Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABGeneralPrefsModule.tif, reason Operation not permitted
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABLDAPPrefsModule.tif, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABLDAPPrefsModule.tif
    Permissions not corrected on ./Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/ABLDAPPrefsModule.tif, reason Operation not permitted

9. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

when i tried to verify disk i got the following error message:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
    ERROR: could not freeze volume (Permission denied)
    Mounting Disk

1 HFS volume checked

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, try running fsck for your volume checking problem. Once this is done we can move back to the permissions problems. :)

11. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

hi and thanks madjew.

well i was going to print out the instructions to run that program fsck but now the printer drivers are all gone. the computer wont recognize the printer anymore and now i also notice that the bluetooth icon is showing up in the menu bar saying that bluetooth is not available. what in the hell is going on here?! :(

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well here's an abbreviated version:

1. Start up holding COMMAND-S.
    2. At the prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy and then RETURN.
    3. If it makes any changes, type /sbin/fsck -fy again until it makes no more changes.

Of course, back up what you can beforehand. :eek:

13. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

i cant seem to use that function as now i cant find my damn startup disk, only my tiger disk. jeez, what now?

i just tried to start holding command s but it wont let me. i have a partition with windows on one side and tiger on the other. when i dont hold down the option key the system
    starts up in windows. once i shift to OSX and use the command s key it doesnt do anything and just gives the error messages that i put in my first post and all these sustem extensions being installed improperly.

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, your system's pretty messed. Maybe try accessing your files with Target Disk Mode (if you have another Mac and a Firewire cable handy) and then try reformatting and reinstalling the OS. Of course, I don't even know how well that'll go if you can't find the hard drive. It might be time to take the machine back. :eek:

15. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

does this mean anything?

Last login: Thu Sep 28 21:05:40 on console
    Welcome to Darwin!
    tiffany-rodriguezs-computer:~ Tiffrod$ /sbin/fsck -fy
    tiffany-rodriguezs-computer:~ Tiffrod$ /sbin/fsck -fy
    tiffany-rodriguezs-computer:~ Tiffrod$ /sbin/fsck-fy
    -bash: /sbin/fsck-fy: No such file or directory
    tiffany-rodriguezs-computer:~ Tiffrod$

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You've lost connection to your hard drive. :confused:

Umm, since it's a new machine I really reckon you should just contact Apple about a fix or a replacement. It might just be a matter of a loose cable but it could be worse. It might be better to immediately contact Apple rather than try to open her up and rejig the cable yourself.

17. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

well i have had to take my imac into an apple store and have them backup all my data and reinstall OSX. something apparantly went wrong with the partition between OSx and windows through boot camp. today the thing wouldnt even boot at all in OSX.

i want to thank you madjew anyway for all the help throughout this, you are the most helpful poster on this board, thanks again.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. I'm a bit surprised it was a software issue in the end. I was convinced something was wrong with the hardware but I'm glad that's not the case. :)