Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BamBamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Someone please help me before I toss the thing in the dumpster!!! I am so mad, I am about to smash this thing and toss it! Really I am.!!!

PowerMac G5
2Gb Ram
DVD Optical Drive (Tested and Works in other Systems)
1tb HDD
Installed 10.2 OSX
Mac Keyboard and Mouse
Brand New, Registered to Me, Black 10.5.6 OSX DVD

Issue #1: The optical drive doesn't show up anymore!

Issue #2: I have managed to install the New OSX 10.5 Retail DVD onto the system. However after 3 years using the G5, I no longer want it, so I tried to re-install the OSX 10.5 to erase everything my kids had on the system. The only thing that did was to remove the DVD drive Option from the PC G5. I have managed to install OSX 10.2 (Grey Disks), =-( but I want to re-install the 10.5 because it is better and I can get updates installed on the Mac.

Please, any ideas that can help me? I tried holding down ALT, I have tried holding down "C" and I have tried holding the mouse key down.

The DVD just keeps ejecting, and nothing happens except it loads the 10.2 OSX OS.

All cables are connected properly!

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Hi,

First off, chill... Its just a machine :) Optical drives don't last forever.. Do you have a known working Optical drive you can swap out? If the optical drive is not showing up it could be a sign that its on its last legs or has stopped working.

Check connections.. Are the optical ide cables in tight enough? Just it barely connected to the pins is not good enough.. it must be on there tight. Next, try a PMU reset.. I am not sure on your model of G5 where the PMU switch is, but hold it in for a sec or two while unplugged, holding the power button in. Turn the computer back on.. let it boot to Leopard's desktop.

Check system profiler(black apple, about this mac, system profiler) - Goto disc burning.. and check to see its working... also check ATA to see if its properly recognized.

Lastly, put in a disc and see if it will boot something.. If you followed everything here and its still not working, then your superdrive is dead - You can get a replacement from OWC or on-line.. Before you do that see if you can find a known working drive from a PC lying around.

As I said.. chill out and take your time with this.. I can feel your frustration dude... really I can.. sometimes I wish I could toss out the window my Mac Pro as it gives me some problems sometimes.

PPCMM
:apple:

Someone please help me before I toss the thing in the dumpster!!! I am so mad, I am about to smash this thing and toss it! Really I am.!!!

PowerMac G5
2Gb Ram
DVD Optical Drive (Tested and Works in other Systems)
1tb HDD
Installed 10.2 OSX
Mac Keyboard and Mouse
Brand New, Registered to Me, Black 10.5.6 OSX DVD

Issue #1: The optical drive doesn't show up anymore!

Issue #2: I have managed to install the New OSX 10.5 Retail DVD onto the system. However after 3 years using the G5, I no longer want it, so I tried to re-install the OSX 10.5 to erase everything my kids had on the system. The only thing that did was to remove the DVD drive Option from the PC G5. I have managed to install OSX 10.2 (Grey Disks), =-( but I want to re-install the 10.5 because it is better and I can get updates installed on the Mac.

Please, any ideas that can help me? I tried holding down ALT, I have tried holding down "C" and I have tried holding the mouse key down.

The DVD just keeps ejecting, and nothing happens except it loads the 10.2 OSX OS.

All cables are connected properly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.