PLEASE help! How to Print to a Windows Network Printer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bronstone, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Bronstone macrumors newbie

Hey guys, just a quick question:

I really need to print to a Windows-based network printer here at work. Currently I'm using parallels and booting xp and doing it from there, but all my documents are stored on OS X.

The problem is figuring out the proper SAMBA printer settings. If someone could please give me a quick tutorial and send me a link to where I can get this done, it would be much obliged. I've been trying to figure this out all week on my own, and now I turn to this wonderful forum for help:

Relevant info:

My system: Mactel, 10.4.7
    Printer Brother USB 8820d connected to a windows network at work

PS: I can connect to the network here at work with my Mac and have access to all the "shared" documents, but the only piece of the pie missing is being able to print wirelessly from my Mac to the printer!

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

You should just be able to browse it from the printer setup utility in the "Utilities" folder. If you can't find it, you can browse using the "More Printers" button. You may also need to change your workgroup on OS X to match the one in the computer serving the printer, you can do this from "Directory Acces" app also in utilities.

Attached Files:

3. Bronstone thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that before, but tried again and it's the same error as always...

UNABLE TO CONNECT TO SAMBA HOST... I've tried to change the samba setting before, first my directly inputing the printers i.p. address and then a second way ( i forget ). I know I'm close to getting it...

PS: I just captured an image of a screenshot I took and tried to post it, but it was too big.. How to I crop it down so I can post it? Sorry guys, I just switched from a PC and am still learning OS X.

PPS: Don't have photoshop.

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

After taking the screenshot, open it in Preview.app and save it as a jpg and choose a medium compression, that should be good enough.

5. mufflon macrumors 6502

something else that might work is to print through ip - get the printer's IP and see if you can do something with that (more hassle and dunno if it'll work, but it has with an old hp one atleast :) )

6. Bronstone thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, here it the screenshot attached

Notice how it says generic printer, image, etc instead of the Brother 8820d. Someone told me before that I have to alter the SAMBA setting and I honestly forget how to access that menu when adding a new printer (hold option?).

How do I find the network's IP? It should be static and therefore if I print via IP can I save this address so I don't have to load it everyday at the office?

Cheers.

PS: I've attached the screenshot, next time how do I add a thumbnail? imageshack? Wow, sucks to be a newb.

Attached Files:

7. Bronstone thread starter macrumors newbie

... or let me know if there's a more appropriate forum to get some info!

thanks again,

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

do you actually know if there are mac drivers for that printer before you tried and print to it?