Please Help. I accidently deleted a Final's project.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nsknike, Dec 13, 2006.

1. nsknike macrumors regular

Well it turns out I accidently deleted a project that I need to pass a class. Anyway that I can recover this?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Stop using the machine immediately. Download FileSalvage. It'll cost you $90 that way to get your files back. There may be other products, but I know this one works.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes. No. Pick one. We don't have enough information.

First off. TURN OFF THE MACHINE.
    Every second you use it reduces the chance of recovery because OSX aggressively overwrites unused space in the background. Once the sectors are overwtitten, you're toast.

I am assuming that you checked in your Trash already, and done a Find... for your file.

Go on another computer and either download the trial version of, or buy a copy of DataRescue II. Run that on your 'lost' machine and see if it can detect the file. However, DataRescue specifically disclaims any guarantee of recovering OSX files after the Trash has been emptied.

There is another utility that MRusers recommend as well, but I can't remember at the mo.
    Edit; Thanks Robbie - that;s the other one. Gotta love simultaneous replies :)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yep! This probably needs to be a sticky or something, we get asked this so often! I've used FileSalvage to save me in the past when I accidentally deleted some files. The $90 was worth every cent.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

6. nsknike thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you guys, I'm in the process of using Data Recovery II right now, will let you know how it turns out.

7. nsknike thread starter macrumors regular

Project has only taken me about 30-40 hours. So not re-writable.

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ok, Barn door after the cows have left, but if you are working on a large project, it is a good idea to save versions with different names as you reach stages in completion, either

MyBigFrackinImportantFile1.0.doc
    MyBigFrackinImportantFile1.1.doc
    MyBigFrackinImportantFile2.0.doc

or

MyBigFrackinImportantFile20061211.doc
    MyBigFrackinImportantFile20061212.doc
    MyBigFrackinImportantFile20061212a.doc

etc.

So that if you lose the current version, or go off on a tangent and need to redo some work, you can restart as of the version saved a couple of hours ago.

Versioning is especially important if there is more than one person working on the project.

10. nsknike thread starter macrumors regular

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Yay!

ASIDE: I wonder if people post these "Oops I accidently deleted XXX YYY ZZZ" when, in reality, they never did XXX YYY ZZZ. However, they end up showing the teacher/professor these threads as "proof" in order to get an extension.

I really really really have a hard time believing someone would drag/move something so important to the Trash, and then empty the Trash "accidently"

12. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

who you you exactly delete your project file that you have been working on for around 40 hours?

and then recover it in under 10 min.?

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Been there, done it. Tidying up at the end. Though I was deleting the folder of the starting point. Actually deleted the folder of stuff I'd finished. I rarely let anything stay in the trash so emptied it straight away. Then I discovered what I'd done and got that sinking feeling. Recovery software got it all back.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

interesting point, :D only time I lost all my data is when I tried to re-partition my harddrive, I spent a whole night to recover those files, GB in size, ooo:eek:

15. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

Yeah, I've had it happen, too; the file just gets lost in the clutter as you clean up. I ended up rewriting the thing, but the difference between 40 minutes and 40 hours is quite a bit.

16. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Glad you were able to get your file back. I had a problem similar to this where i tried to change partitions on an external with iPartition and it crashed in the middle of it. No data recovery programs would work :(. Data Rescue II found most of the files but when I downloaded them they were just place holder files with no data.... Oh well I guess, at least a decent portion of it was backed up.

17. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

18. reubs macrumors 68000

I usually don't clean up after a project until after I've turned the project in. However, I can certainly understand how a project gets accidentally deleted. Glad you recovered it.

19. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Happy you got the file back, similar thing happened to my dad but he dropped his powerbook and he took it to a store and they salvaged it. Happy you got your project back. :)

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Great news! Good for you, nsknike. And three cheers for the fire fighters robbieduncan and that mountie to the rescue CanadaRAM. You done good. Hope you make an A. :)

21. gelatin macrumors 6502

and they all lived happily ever after.

The End :D