Please Help I need a powerbook buy or wait????

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chefonthegony, Oct 13, 2005.

  1. chefonthegony macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    Location:
    bigg apple
    #1
    Im a student at Film school in NYC, I have a grant that I need to use towards my funding for school. . . I have to use it buy next Tueday, and I hear all about the new powerbook with HD that will be great for me because I use all the pro line of apps from Final cut to Shake. . .So have this will be great when im editing for my school project and also for my personal enjoyment. . . Im so ready to buy but I worry that it will be updated...Please help...This is what I have in my check out


    PowerBook 15" 1.67GHz SuperDrive
    Part Number: Z0B6
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    1G DDR333 SDRAM - 2*512 SO-DIMM
    Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    AirPort Extreme Card
    1.67GHz PowerPC G4 w/128MB VRAM dual
    100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

    Estimated Ship: 5-7 business days
    Delivered within 5 business days after shipping 1 $2,279.00 $2,279.00
    iPod 60GB - Black
    Part Number: MA147LL/A
    Estimated Ship: 5-7 business days
    Delivered within 5 business days after shipping 1 $369.00 $369.00

    Order Subtotal: $2,648.00
    Free Shipping: $0.00
    Estimated Tax*: $221.77

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Estimated Total: $2,869.77
     
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #2
    I don't think you've got much choice if the grant ends on Tuesday. Leave it as long as possible of course though. Don't place the order until Tuesday afternoon because if anything will come out before Wednesday, it'll be on Tuesday morning. :)

    If you don't need the portability, look into a G5 iMac though.
     
  3. plinkoman macrumors 65816

    plinkoman

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2003
    Location:
    New York
    #3
    i'm in the same situation, well, instead of a grant running out, its my patience :p

    i've been saving for so long to be able to afford it, and now i can, and i just fricken don't want to wait anymore, i'm still not even sure if i am willing to wait untill the 19th :eek:

    but if its any releif, there have been some reports of powerbook orders being delayed signifigantly dispite the site saying 3-5 days, which if true could mean you'd get an updated powerbook whether you order it now or later... well, one can hope...
     
  4. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2001
    Location:
    NJ
    #4
    I am not sure if your grant will allow you to purchase my machine, but we can always try :) I am willing to write up whatever receipt you request. I am in NJ so I can meet up with you in the city to complete the transaction. I have a powerbook 17" in almost new condition. It has stock specs, here is a link to my marketplace thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=154726
     
  5. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #5
    You might talk to your instructors to see if you might be able to get by with an ibook for your daily portable studies while basically learning your way around the applications AND buy a 17" or 20" iMac G5 for your major work. BOTH for less than you were spending on a single processor G4 PowerBook alone.

    The iMac G5 with the 64bit processor, standard 250 GB, 7200 RPM hard drive (supported up to 500 GB) with PCI-e graphics and at least 1.5 GB or RAM is going to do a MUCH better job for you once you learn the ropes .

    The ibook covers you for notes, data , music and learning the film editing applications itself.

    I would think really hard about this option if you can't order a HD Powerbook by next week
     
  6. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

    sw1tcher

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #6
    Put in the order for your PB on Tuesday evening if there's no update that day because if there's an update on Wed, Apple will end up shipping you the updated PB instead. I know a couple of people who put orders in for a PB only to be contacted by Apple that they're getting the updated model instead.
     

Share This Page