please help, ibook won't recognize ipod

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by edsdragon158, Oct 29, 2005.

1. edsdragon158 macrumors newbie

recently when i tried to connnect my ipod to my computer to update music, etc. the computer will not recogize the ipod. the ipod whos the "do not disconnect" message, but the ipod won't show up on either the desk top or in itunes. i already tried restarting the computer and ipod and making sure i have all the updates. the thing is, i have music on my ipod that isn't on my computer so i dont want to have to reset the ipod completely. please help!:confused:
    p.s. i tried connecting it to another computer in my house and although it was a pc it did at least recognize it so it must be my computer and not the ipod help

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If the computer that's not recognising the iPod is a Mac (probable if you have a desktop) then you can try deleting the iPod preferences, called com.apple.iPod.plist. I don't know if it'll help though.

Otherwise, could you use the other PC to get the music from your iPod and then do a complete restore of the firmware using the iPod Updater Software? :)

3. untamedhysteria macrumors regular

untamedhysteria

or, you have it set in the itunes prefs not to automatically mount the ipod....try resetting that...or again, delete the .plist files.

4. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

look in disk utility to see if the ipod shows up there. If the filesystem of the ipod was corrupted it wont mount because the computer cant read it. Hopefully you dont have anything important on it, because you will likely need to download the ipod updater and restore the ipod.

5. edsdragon158 thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried deleting the ipod preferences file and that didnt seem to help. i checked to see if it shows up in the disk utility and it doesn't. the ipod doesn't even show up in the updater so i dont know how i could restore it if i wanted to. i didn't know there was such a preference in itunes to make it automatically mount or not but it used to work and i didnt change anything. how do i check this just in case? also, lately when i try to download applications at the last step it will not work because of a "mounting error." ipod won't mount, mounting error, is it possible the two are related? i have no idea what to do. Please Help!!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What OS are you running? Is it the default (Administrator) account? :)

7. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Did you try resetting it using play+select(or its it select+menu)

8. edsdragon158 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay so this weekend i tried connecting the ipod to my brother's mac, and it showed up on his computer. so obviously there must be a problem with my computer that keeps it from mounting. as i said earlier, i keep getting this "mounting error" whenever i try to download certail applications, and i wonder if that might be related. i'm pretty sure that i have all the latest updates, and i'm also pretty sure that my port on the computer isn't faulty. i have no idea what to do, can anyone help me please???

9. UnheardOf macrumors newbie

Is this a new problem, meaning you iPod has always worked on your computer in the past? If so, think about what you might've changed, if anything, in your system preferences lately. If nothing there, try to think if you've downloaded/installed anything lately, and what.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try creating a new account on your Mac and see if the problem is carried over. :)