please help im dying!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Trout74, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Trout74 macrumors 6502

ok two questions:

I bought a mac Mini today first mac in like 15 years so bear with me.

1. I importd three clips into imovie, and made a small movie. I dragged the clips to the bottom and got them all lined up how i wanted them. so

HOW do I get them on to a CD-R, I have a combo drive, no DVD writer, but Im sure I can burn the movie onto a CD-R, but I cant for the life of me find the option any where!!

2. I put a blank CD into the drive, thinking this owuld give me some additional prompts, but it didnt, so I told it to disregard or forget about the CD if you will, now I cant find the CD to EJECT IT, one, and TWO, how the hell do you find the CD drive on this thing???? I cant find it any where?

the OS X stuff is just staring to piss me the hell off, and I relaly dont want it to, but I cant find my CD drive on my finder or anything where the hell is it??

please help, im freaking out!

trout

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

EDIT: I just tried this myself, and I don't see how it shows up graphically either. F12 should still work. Sorry, if you had an Apple keyboard, you would see an eject symbol on your F12 key, but since you probably have a non-Apple kb....

3. dscan99 macrumors regular

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Now Export the Movie as a .Mov, or mpeg, or whatever you want. Now when you put in the blank disk, and OSX asks what you want to do, tell it to open in Finder. Now locate your movie, and drag it to the CD. Now go to File -> Burn.

DONE.

As for the second problem, RTMS (Read the Manual). F12 works on non enhanced keyboards, also restart holding down the
    mouse button, that is guaranteed to eject it. If F-12 doesn't work for you activate the Eject.menu.

TEG​

5. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Sorry - I had to laugh at this thread - not in a nasty way I hasten to add. I can honestly say that I know exactly what this poster is going through - I switched a few years ago with a nice red iMac and OS9, and it took me a long time to get the feel of the file system - it just didn't seem to do the logical thing.
    OS X is much better, but you still have to get into it and start thinking how it thinks, not how you think.
    While all these problems are really annoying at the time, it does get better, and you'll start to appreciate what a nice OS it really is. And, just as important, you'll start to really enjoy your Mac mini.
    Also I'm jealous of anyone who has a new mini......they are a really cool little machine. Good luck.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There have always been a few of these threads from iBook or PB users who don't notice the eject key :D but the number definitely went up with the Mac Mini and Apple's BYOKVM or whatever it is strategy. Maybe Apple should've written a little program that popped up the first time a person used a Mac Mini and helped them figure our keyboard equivalents for the Apple, option, volume, brightness and eject controls.... Seriously, since so many Mac Mini users are using USB PC keyboards that don't explicitly have all of these keys labelled....

7. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

sorry but i don't agree.

it should be more like 'start thinking naturally' and 'not how windows makes you think' ;) :D

8. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

That is exactly it. Windows makes you think in an accidental manner, more than ten years worth of botched ui principles bolted on to one another.

That's why there should be more reports into the ease of use for people who have never used a computer, not just those who have learnt to tolerate windows ideas.

9. Norouzi macrumors 6502

My advice keep using OS X, it's sooooo much better than the previous OS's. I started on the Mac using OS 8 and loved it. When 10 first came out I hated it because things didn't work like they did in OS 8 or 9. Now I hate OS 9. I hate using classic, and will ususally cancel it starting if a program tries to start it. I love 10 now and I've realised that it can do SO much more than OS 9 or Windows for that matter. Yes it makes you think a little differently than OS 9, but overall, the advantages greatly outway the slightly less intuitive interface.

10. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry, freaked out, but i got it all figured out.

My lovely wife pointed out that there is an Eject key on THE KEYBOARD!

im a moron.
    and I figured out how to burn a movie too.

thanks
    Trout

11. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I think that both of the issues brought up by the OP are valid. Windows has a much more logical treatment for optical drives (it's always in My Computer, and you can eject it from there, even if it's empty [and thus unmounted]). Going from iMovie to a VCD is also a little trickier than using Nero in Windows, and there's a lot to get used to. Many things on the Mac are much more intuitive, but these two aren't on that (very long) list.

As an aside, now that F12 has Dashboard functionality, how will the eject key and the Dashboard key coexist? Probably the wrong forum to ask this, but it just popped into my head as I wrote this.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Just a question - is your wife less of a Windows poweruser than you? I've found that those who didn't know 'how Windows did something' found it much easier figuring out how to do that thing on the Mac.

13. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

oh yes, i use Windows at work and have for 6 years and at home till now, and she is a TEACHER and yes uses a G4 ibook at work all day. But I just cant find it in me to ask her too many questions......shhhhh she might be lurking.

I should know everything you know! ;-)

trout