Please help! Im get an error message when booting xp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Odatria, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Odatria macrumors newbie

The install of XP went smooth but when I restart the computer I get to the welcome screen and get this message...

A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80070002

Please Help!

Thanks in advance,

Odatria

2. Odatria thread starter macrumors newbie

Heres what I have found out so far. There are two possible fixes.

Reset the default security provider in Windows XP

To reset the default security provider in Windows XP, delete the relevant registry keys in the Windows registry. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Start the computer. Press the F8 key during startup to start the computer in Safe mode.
    2. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    3. Delete the following registry keys in the Windows registry:
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
    4. Quit Registry Editor.
    5. Restart the computer.

Thee problem with this fix is that I cannot find the registry keys that need to be deleted.

Change the System/Boot Drive Letter

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
    1. Make a full system backup of the computer and system state.
    2. Log on as an Administrator.
    3. Start Regedt32.exe.
    4. Go to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    5. Click MountedDevices.
    6. On the Security menu, click Permissions.
    7. Verify that Administrators have full control. Change this back when you are finished with these steps.
    8. Quit Regedt32.exe, and then start Regedit.exe.
    9. Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    10. Find the drive letter you want to change to (new). Look for "\DosDevices\C:".
    11. Right-click \DosDevices\C:, and then click Rename.

Note You must use Regedit instead of Regedt32 to rename this registry key.
    12. Rename it to an unused drive letter "\DosDevices\Z:".

This frees up drive letter C.
    13. Find the drive letter you want changed. Look for "\DosDevices\D:".
    14. Right-click \DosDevices\D:, and then click Rename.
    15. Rename it to the appropriate (new) drive letter "\DosDevices\C:".
    16. Click the value for \DosDevices\Z:, click Rename, and then name it back to "\DosDevices\D:".
    17. Quit Regedit, and then start Regedt32.
    18. Change the permissions back to the previous setting for Administrators (this should probably be Read Only).
    19. Restart the computer.

The problem with this fix is I am afaid of screwing up my data on my os x partition. (not sure if that is possible, but if Im switching drive numbers Im a little scared of this one.

Any thoughts?

3. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I wonder if this would allow you to change the name of the XP partition...something other than 'Untitled' would be nice...

4. Odatria thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

So, what's new?
    <sarcasm> Actually, that windows logo is not an error message. Its meant to be there. MSFT tried to ease the confusion by including a new, upgraded BSOD, which is an actual error massage.</sarcasm>

Did you try the fixes yet? Did they work?

6. Odatria thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I tried to delete the keys listed in the Windows Registry. Only problem is, they do not exist. So much for that fix.

As for the change of the system/drive letters, Im not going to do that and risk losing everything on my MBP. Sooooooo, I guess I'll have to live without it unless someone else who has had a similar problem can point me in the right direction.