Please help...ISO files...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nessaja, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Nessaja macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2006

I am in a frustrated situation. I downloaded a file that contains an ISO suffix, which evidently Mac verifies it as a disk image. The name of the file is something like this: blahblah.iso.__e. At first the thumbnail appeared as a blank page, but after asking my friend who told me to delete the letters after .iso, a harddrive image was replaced. I double clicked on it, only to receive a message implying "file format not recognized". I then searched around on Google and found a few tips, such as mounting the file on ToastMount, Mac's default disk utility option, and even downloaded several programs as the previous methods have failed. NONE have been capable of opening or mounting the file successfully. Everything resulted in error. I have tried numerous methods to no avail. Now my question is: is it possible to mount an ISO file disk image on a Mac without burning it? I do not desire to burn the file into DVDs in order to view it. If anyone can help me I'd be very delighted and grateful. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Yes, by double clicking it. If it doesn't mount, it's not an ISO (just because a file has an ISO file extension it doesn't mean it really is an ISO) or is corrupted in some way.