Please help - iTunes can't find tracks in iTunes folder!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kavika411, Nov 27, 2006.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thank you so much for reading this.

iTunes isn't finding approximately 1/4 of my music tracks, even though the tracks are in the iTunes folder. The easiest way to describe it is this. I open iTunes and go to an album that has ten tracks on it. But when I look at the album in iTunes, anywhere between two and four of those ten tracks are not displayed. It's as if they are not/were never there. YET, if I go into explorer (this is a PC) and look into the actual iTunes folder/files for that artist, it's right there, all ten tracks! So, the next thing I do, while still in explorer, is double click a track that iTunes couldn't find; iTunes then opens and plays the song and, yes, that track is now being displayed by iTunes.

So, I know the track is there. I know iTunes can find the track, but only if I go into the iTunes folder. This wouldn't be such a big deal, but we're talking about approximately 1,500 of these "lost" songs, and it would be essentially impossible to go through and "show" iTunes where each song is.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you very much for reading this. I appreciate any suggestions.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This has happened to me a few times on my PC (where my iTunes library lives). In my case, it seems to be a slow memory leak from leaving iTunes open and running for long periods along with other apps.

It has been fixed by a restart of the whole system, after which all the tracks are "found" again...

Have you tried rebooting?

If that doesn't do it, you might want to try reimporting your whole library. (Add Folder to library). It usually doesn't create duplicates if the files are in the library to start with.

B

3. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I've tried rebooting, but haven't tried re-adding the folder, but I'm up for anything at this point.