Please help, itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by fleagle, Dec 2, 2002.

1. fleagle macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2002
    My son has got a G3 running os9.1

I inserted a cd in today to copy, when starting to import on the first track it stopped and the following notice appeared...."unknown (-36) error occurred while converting the file track 1.."

I have tried everything i can think of to sort settings, cleaning cd's and player, nothing works and it happens with every cd i try to import.

My son has learning probs and loves to do cd's on his iMac.

Can anyone please help before i go to our very expensive comp shop.

Thank you
  2. Macette macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2002
    Have you tried deleting preferences, or reinstalling the software? It doesn't sound like either of these will solve your problem, but it's worth a shot. I had a similar thing happen a while ago, but I think it was just with the one CD. If you know somebody who could lend you an external drive, you could sort out for sure whether it's the program or the actual drive that's causing the problem, before you go and spend money to have somebody look at it...

Good luck with it.
  3. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    all CD's?

Dose it do the same thing with all CD's? I would try more of them if you havent all ready. It could be that the CD is dirty or scratched. It could even still play on a normal CD player... and not work when you try to convert (I have had that problem before).

What CD is it? Some CDs wont even paly on a Mac... there is some new copy protection out there that makes it so only a Windows PC with Windows Media Player can play the disk. There are some that would send a Mac into a state that it would not even eject the dam disk! There are only a few CDs like that in the USA right now... more in Europe
  4. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2002
    iTunes help...

You probably already know that error -36 is defined at Apple:

Type -36 error (I/O Errors (bummers)

This file is having difficulty while either reading from the drive or writing to the drive. The file may have been improperly written data to the drive or the hard drive or disk may be damaged.

This is almost always indicative of a media error (hard error on the disk). Sometimes (rarely) it is transient.

Solutions: Try copying the file to another drive. Use a disk recovery software, such as Disk First Aid to examine the disk. You can try rebooting with all extensions off. Once in a while this will allow you to read the data. The file in question should be restored from a backup that was stored on a differnt disk. Regular backups can reduce the time to recover from this error.

Also check your CD Drive Compatibility relating to iTunes if you have any questions about hardware compatibility.

You may have already done this, but Apple says:
    Even if you do not intend to create audio CDs, if you are using Mac OS 9.1 or later you should download the Authoring Support software. It includes the latest CD/DVD driver software that iTunes uses while importing songs to your music library.
    Visit Apple's page about this by clicking here.

If none of this gets you going, there will be other suggestions here by more expert persons than me for sure... good luck.
  5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    does iTunes have a problem w/"enhanced" CDs? Ya know, disks that have extras like videos, pics and web-links. Also, what CD was it? Maybe it was one that's got the new copy protection on it?

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    itunes has no problem with E-CDs...dd u check for a huge hole or scratch in the disc where the first track would be (close to the center)?
  7. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2002

One other thing as well, make sure your son's G3 and OS is uptodate as new as possible. Also make sure your iTunes is updated as much as possible after trying to update your OS.

Your G3 Firmware
    Make sure you've completely updated your G3's firmware. Without know more about your G3, I'll have to just give you a link to explore at Apple: Click here for Apple's G3 update page.

OS 9.1 to OS 9.2.1
    Click here to go to a page with Documentation and a download to update to 9.2.1.

iTunes 2.0.4
    First, 9.1 may prefer iTunes 2.0 or less, but Apple page says 2.0.4 works with OS 9.1, but there are some users that got an old copy of iTunes (2.0 or lower) and resolved many of their problems.

. For OS 9.2.1, I think you can go as high as iTunes 2.0.4. That may solve your problem. Click here to visit a page with documentation about iTunes for OS 9.2.1.

iTunes 2.0.4 offered improved stability and performance.

8. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    (BTW this is not to help to priate music, it is just for use by those of us who buy CDs and want to be able to take the music with us with out the CDs.)

I have been told about similar things happening on PCs when trying to import CDs. Primarily "The Eminem Show" CD has a copy protection which causes a similar problem, there are two options I know of.

One Try to Import only select tracks that sometimes works.

The other is take either a Crayola Washable Magic Marker or a Vis a Vis Pen and color the first track (The area between the clear plastic and the normal cd colloring) Black that way the computer will not read the encription.

9. fleagle thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2002
    Thanks everyone for getting back so quick.
    I will try all answers you've all given, had this comp for 2 years but still a bit thick when it comes to trouble shooting.

Thanks again.