Please HELP!! login probs or accessing user files on an extenal hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by timmylammy, Mar 13, 2007.

1. timmylammy macrumors newbie

May 19, 2006
    ello guys:

really need your help on this one(well two...)

my Mac:apple: (PB12"1.5gHz tiger) doesn't log on - log on screen appears but when i type in the password it says loading then after a while the background changes from the standard mac background to just a blue.ish colour (colour blind...) i've tried leaving it over night to see if it loads but not luck... also tried resetting the vram, didn't change. even tried booting in to safe mode but same thing happenes.

(turn on - apple:apple: gray loading screen - login box - enter password - nothing....)

now i'm stuck. deffently not hardware prob cos ubuntu is working.

if anyone can help me i will be forever greatfull.

also... does anyone know how to access protected user files (i'm 90% sure that filevault is off if that helps) on an external HDD? as i was thinking taking the HDD out (dont wanna do it unless will work cos i hate taking apart macs) of my PB and just pluggin in to another computer so i can back everything up then format and install a fresh copy of :apple: OS X on...

or if anyone knows how to access my mac partition and get the protected files in ubuntu then please tell me. i'm up for trying anything...

thank you!
  2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    you should be able to mount it as a firewire device and then back up your users folder.

after that do a fresh install of the os
  3. timmylammy thread starter macrumors newbie

May 19, 2006
    sounds good thanks for the tip:) . my friend has a macbook so i guess i'd just have to get a cable (6-pin to 6pin right?).

Also, will mounting it as a firewire device bypass the "dont have permission" i really cant remember if filevault is on (hope not:( ) but when i'm on the other partition (ubuntu) and i mount the osx partition, i can only get as far as the user folder, i can see desktop, music, ect... but not open them
  4. timmylammy thread starter macrumors newbie

May 19, 2006
    k. i've ordered a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire so hopfully should work. i shall post again if works or not...
    but and anyone answer my question above just so i dont get my hopes too high :p