PLEASE HELP! MBP incapable of producing ANY audio!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Iranian, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Iranian macrumors newbie

OK, so everything was fine this morning, I was listetning to music, watching videos - no problems.

Just about half an hour ago I go upstairs to have lunch, closing the lid and putting the MBP to sleep before doing so.

I come back after lunch, open the lid, and try watching a video on youtube...no sound. I unmute the sound on the youtube video player and check the sound slider...still no sound. I then check the sound on the actual computer...It's on full and no headpones are plugged in...and yet still no sound.

I do further checking by playing music in iTunes and opening some Quicktime videos...still no sound. WTF???

I then restart the computer, and boot into Apple Hardware Test, run an extensive test and it finds no problems.

The strangest thing is that the keyboard sound buttons (F4 and F5) don't seem to respond while the mute button (F3) does respond but doesn't do anything (and by respond I mean the little transparent thing that pops up).

I then check system Profiler and in the built-in Audio section, it says I have NO BUILT-IN audio!

So what the hell is happening here!?

Please help!!!

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I have had this problem **LOTS** of times on Windows, but never on my Mac. Try repairing your permissions. If that doesn't work, repair your disk from your OS X installation disc and then repair your permissions again.

3. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey I tried repairing Disk Permissions but it didn't work, and System Profiler detects no built-in audio.

How do I go about repairing the disk using the install CD? will there be an option on the menu?

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Open and close garageband. This will reset the core audio and should fix your problem.

5. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

When I tried opening GarageBand it gave me an error saying:

CoreAudio - - Selected Driver not found.
    (-10202)

Is there any way to re-install core audio?

:(

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try spotlighting com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist and moving it to the desktop. After you move it to the desktop, restart the computer.

7. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried what you said and it didn't work. :(

I am getting quite pissed off here, because there is no reason for it to randomly do this for no reason. How can core audio just disappear like this?:mad:

And I only have like three weeks experience with Macs/OSX so that doesn't help either.:confused:

8. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

It's only been an hour, calm down. Try creating a new account and see if the sound shows up there.

9. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done that already, it doesn't work. And I also used some program called TechTool Deluxe which came with Applecare but that didn't fix anything either.

Is there any way to just re-install the audio drivers?

10. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Call apple's phone support, they'll help you. I'd back everything up first, they might suggest reinstalling.

11. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I take it there is no way to just independently re-install the audio drivers...like in Windows...?

I am going to try re-installing OSX, but how do I make it so all my settings and applications stay? I just had a look around the Mac OSX Disk and the only option was to "Archive and Install" or something like that. It said that it will keep all my settings (hope that doesn't include a faulty sound driver) but it didn't say anything about my apps.

12. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Archive and Install just reinstall the system folder so you get a fresh OS, but keep all of your files. That would be the right option if you have to do that, but I would really call applecare. That's why you paid 200+ dollars.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait a minute...can I ask a dumb question? When you restart your computer, does it still make the BONG sound?

14. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope.

15. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

I re-installed OSX and still it finds no audio AT ALL. It's as if the speakers don't exist...?

I am thinking of just going over to the Apple store tommorow, handing it over to one of the "geniuses" and just let them fix it.

I still don't get what this could be....so random.

16. Sirin macrumors member

Sirin

What was the exact last thing you did (before putting it to sleep) before the problem began?

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If it wasn't clear *why* I asked that question.... ;)

There are only two possible explanations if you aren't even getting that chime (because it happens before the OS is loaded, of course re-installing OS X didn't do anything to help).

1) The problem has to do with the PRAM / NVRAM / whatever. So you can zap them (see the guides here).

2) The problem is a hardware problem (meaning it needs to be repaired).

18. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing, just had safari open, and listening to iTunes. I then closed the lid.

19. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

I researched on google and found out how to reset PRAM and NVRAM, so I did it....but it still doesn't work. :eek: :confused:

If it is a hardware problem, is it possible that Apple Hardware Test couldn't detect it? That seems very strange because this is a pretty big problem...

And one last question. If I brought it into an Apple store would they give me a choice to replace it....maybe with a 17" model???;)

If that happens all this would be a blessing in disguise!

20. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I highly doubt they would give you a new one, but you never know. Just bring it in and see what they say -- don't request a new one.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is really good advice. Make it clear that you just want help to get it working again. When it comes time to start pushing that button, then if you have to, try to be on their side...avoid at all costs being that person who clearly just wants a "freebie" from them, because no one responds positively to that.

Good luck, and sorry your new computer is giving you so much trouble. Macs do fail every once in a while, but the quality level overall is very good. Once we get you a good one, I'm sure you're going to love it to tears. :)

With regard to the Apple Hardware test problem... as I understand it, it primarily detects problems that some IC on the board could identify. So like if this problem were caused because the audio chips were fried and not responding, I would think the test program would spot it. But I'm not sure the test program is able to look for everything that is caused by loose wire type of problems. Also for example, although it's hokey... I don't think, if your LCD backlight burnt out, the test program would know. But that's quite obvious! I don't know if that helps...it's all speculation. This is an odd problem. I haven't heard of a lot of cases of this. But it really sounds like a hardware problem to me. Unless I'm missing something terribly obvious.