Please help me choose.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by azzurri000, Jan 23, 2007.

1. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone. My current situation is that I own the base config of the current MBP c2d. Unfortunately, I am not too crazy about the screen. It is the 9c60 model, and it is terribly grainy. I have had a couple of replacements already, and the screens have all been the same.

At this point, I think that I could probably replace it with a highly specced iMac or a very low specced mac pro.

Right before I purchased my MBP, I started playing counter-strike source on a shared PC. In the past couple of months I have become addicted to that game, and I have tried playing it on my MBP using CrossOver, but the fans go crazy. The game itself seems decent, but I don't want to wreck my laptop this way.

I guess what I am wondering, is whether I should choose the 20" iMac or the Power Mac. I love the compact size of the iMac, and the fact that I would not have to buy a separate LCD... but is the screen quality decent?

Should I choose the iMac or the Power Mac? Thanks in advance!!

2. Stadsport macrumors regular

The screen on my boyfriend's Core Duo iMac doesn't have any problems. A buddy has a C2D MacBook Pro and while the screen isn't TOO grainy, it's got some horribly uneven lighting.
    In any case, I wouldn't worry about the fans going--that's their job. Unless its overheating (meaning the fans aren't enough!) or it's burning you (play on a desk, use a mouse!), I wouldn't worry about it, and I definitely wouldn't let this drive you to buy a new computer.
    My MacBook's (non-pro) fans get going pretty fast when I've been playing Guild Wars of a while, but they're FANS, they make noise.

3. azzurri000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, thanks for the reply :) I guess my worry was that my laptop would overheat, anyway. I'm happy to hear that your gaming experience has been good.

To clarify, though, my current situation is that I'm pretty sure that I could replace my MBP with an iMac or a Mac Pro at no added cost besides perhaps an external LCD.

Playing source on my MBP would probably be decent under bootcamp, but the screen is so grainy...

is the iMac screen clear? or should I get the Mac Pro?