Please help me convert my wife.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lanman, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Lanman macrumors member

Lanman

I am desperately trying to reduce my at home Support / Administration of systems by converting my wife to the Mac. She has two remaining issues and I am hoping that someone out there can come up with solutions for both.

1. Smilies or Smileys - She loves using these in her emails and I was shocked when she pointed out that they are not available in OS X mail. (I just assumed that they would be there since the Mac is a fun and easy to use computer). How can I add Smileys to OS X mail?

2. Stationary - My wife also uses stationary occasionally for her email and I was also surprised that this is not a standard feature in OS X mail. How can I add stationary to OS X mail?

I am really trying to have her stick with all of the standard applications that Tiger offers and .Mac syncs to eliminate any administration/backup of her email, address book, favorites and calendar.

Please help she is very high maintenance on Windows!!!!

Dan

2. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Good luck, I've been trying to get my gf to switch for 2 years now. Ain't gonna happen. Well, it might eventually, but its not an overnight thing. (with her anyway.)

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

those are her last two issues not to switch to a mac... :confused:

:rolleyes:

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Smilies? Seriously? How teenage.

As for stationary, do you mean, some sort of background in the email to make it all prettified?

5. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i think that smileys can't be seen on OSX mail, but other mail clients can see it. its just you can't see it on osx mail.

i have a friend that loves macs, but refused to convert because of one thing: it dosen't have the display picture feature in msn! that was a couple of months ago and now that he dosent have an excuse anymore because he found out about msn alternatives like aduim, he's dreaming about powerbook alternatives like acer ferrari, which i think is not a good idea, or dell, alienware, or ibm. man what a wuss. "but the msn for mac dosen't let me look at my friend's picture! macs stink!"

to be honest, and not to offend you, your wife is spoiled and blinded from the fact that her operating system is junk. she has the same symtoms as my friend, not looking at the benefits of using a mac and always look at the compromises like smileys. if i were you, i would put tons of spyware, and viruses on her current computer to let her know the real pain of mac converts before they converted :D

try convincing her that she can still use Hotmail on macs, um, tell her that microsoft office on mac is superior to windows versions, she will be more confortable and safe on macs, and oh: windows stinks! :D.

6. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

yeah, that and the new msn for mac allows you to view pictures.

7. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i didn't want to talk about the new msn. it was a major exception because it's unusable!

8. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Doesn't Thunderbird from Mozilla have smilies?

9. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I don't think I could marry a woman who used that awful ring binder stationary graphics and stupid emoticons that take up entirely too much time to download in mail, often times mess up attachments, etc.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but i'd hire a divorce lawyer STAT and find a woman who can get by with plain text emails.

hehehe. ;)

10. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

unusable? I use it.

11. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

If your wife has so little imagination that she needs smilies and --

whoa, wtf.

I got a letter from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles. They printed the website in the upper left hand corner underneath the return address, and it is http://www.oplates.com/

I wonder if the sitename was picked by a druggy :cool:

Not that this has anything to do with the topic at hand, but it is definitely more interesting than what I was going to say. Not that this says much...

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I would imagine the Entourage would do both of these things pretty well

13. Lanman thread starter macrumors member

Lanman

Wow, that was a unique collection of replies. To those who tried to offer help - Thank you.

From the responses, I gather that there is no way to do what my wife is trying to do in OS X mail.

I was hoping that someone would have a creative solution, or 3rd party app. I know there are hundreds of solutions for this for Windows and I just wanted one decent one for OS X mail.

Please let me know if you guys come up with or run into a solution.

Thanks again,

Dan

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

If you could get her to acquiese to the use of "Stationery" rather than "Stationary", she might move. :cool:
    X

15. Lanman thread starter macrumors member

Lanman

Maybe I meant "Stationary"?

She is not willing to move off of Windows without the Smileys!

So there! ;)

Dan

FYI - Notice the appropriate use of a Smiley. :)

16. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Boy. How did we live without emoticons? I'm surely a happier, more productive member of society now that I can display my emotions with a (sometimes) animated computer graphic.

hehe. i still can't believe that someone would base their choice of computers (or anything for that matter) on something so incredibly trivial. strange indeed.

17. Lanman thread starter macrumors member

Lanman

I can't believe that such a simple function can not be replicated on OS X mail.

I never use the smiles in my email but MANY people do use them in their email, MSN chat, AIM, iChat and forum postings. Just because you and I do not use them doesn’t mean that I should be in denial that they are very popular.

FYI - Moxiemike, You used an emoticon in your posting above. Interesting.....

Dan

18. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Let's just boil this argument down to two extremes, that pretty sum up the mac vs windows debate:

Macintosh. Elegant. Functional. Clean interface. Funky. Part of the underground. All this leans to the exclusion of something as trivial as smileys in mail

Windows. Bloated. Barely usable. Cluttered interface. Follower. Mainstream. Of course, smileys are welcome here! As are animated paper clips and such.

It's basically like saying that BMW should add a feature to their cars that you find only in lesser cars. Or asking, say, a great jazz musician to play a britney spears song. I mean, sure, in the end, it's pretentious and snobby as hell... but it's surely fun to muse over on slow fridays.

m

19. Lanman thread starter macrumors member

Lanman

Ahhhh.....

You're one of them.

FYI - Please stop using emoticons in your replies, you are killing my productivity.

Thank you

20. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Damn people lay off him hes just asking a question on if there is some way to allow emoticons in an email. So you don't use them but some people do, thats why they have them.

I love how people bash her yet use the emoticons in their posts.

I dont have an answear for you at this time but I'll try to do some research for you so you can have somewhat of an answear.

21. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

i still think this is reasonable grounds for divorce. i know that's what i'd do.

22. Lanman thread starter macrumors member

Lanman

Thank you Dr. Dastardly!!!

I really want to convert my house to the Mac to simplify my life. I manage an IT department at a financial institution by day (600 PCs and 100+ servers) and I just want my computers at home to work. I exclusively use a PowerBook at home and have absolutely no issues at all.

Thank you again,

Dan

23. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It also has templates, which are pretty much the same thing as stationery.

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well to try to answer the OP's original question:

No, I don't think there's a way to get Mail (Apple's mail client to do this), but someone earlier mentioned Thunderbird, and that might be worth a try for a potential switcher.

I know Thunderbird can use Templates (and, even if I'm not entirely sure how Stationary works, my guess is that this is very similar features). Smiles are worse, but there almost certainly should be an extension that will add Smily capability to Thunderbird. Extensions are one of Firefox/Thunderbird's greatest strengths...

So, give the 'bird a try... ;)

25. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

OK so I downloaded Thunderbird and played around with it and went looking for an extension like Mitthrawnuruodo said. Thunderbird do not have smilies but you can download an extension that will allow you to insert smilies from here. You will have to find your own smilies and import them though but its not like the internet isn't screaming with them anyway.

Hope this helps.