Please help me decide, 12 inch or 15 inch powerbook?!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by nospleen, Jan 16, 2003.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Hello, I am having a hard time deciding between the new 12 powerbook (superdrive) or the 15" powerbook (superdrive). I can get the 15 inch brand new for 2525 total, or the 12 inch would be 2210 total. If anyone out there can lend some advice, I would greatly appreciate it! How will the performance stack up between the two?

2. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Well, the 15" has a better graphics card and 1mb of Level 3 cache - I belive that the 12" only has 256K L2 cache - the extra cache will help performance. The 12" has DDR Ram while the 15" doesn't, but I don't know if that will compensate for the lack of L3 cache. Also, if this is going to be your primary machine, consider if a 12" screen will be enough for you.

But then there's Airport Extreme and the new form factor of the 12" etc...

3. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I think the screen will be okay becuase I could always add a monitor. I am worried that I will regret not spending the extra money for the 1g. However, the new powerbook does come with the new ilife so I do not have to worry about spending another 50 bucks on software. (although the 50 is super cheap for the software) I am coming from the 17"imac, will the powerbooks be more powerful or less?

4. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

remember that you can't add an Apple LCD to the 12".

I will be using an older CRT, so it doesn't matter for mine, but this could be a consideration.

5. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

You'll be able to download all but iDVD from Apple.com for free. I'm guessing that the 15" Ti will include the new iDVD very soon, if it doesn't already. Even if it isn't pre-loaded on the Ti, you still may be able to get it for free with those software coupons that are included. If this will be a big factor in your decision you should talk to someone at Apple to get the scoop.

Well both PBs have a faster processor, bus speed, and the 15" PB has the better cache (12" has the same 256K L2). I'm not sure how the nVidia GeForce 4 MX compares with the video cards on the PBs, so maybe someone else can help out on that.

6. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I decided to go for the 15 inch. I figured I might regret getting the 12, but not the 15. (except for my pocketbook)