Please help me determine a fair price for this PowerBook G3 (Pismo)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Elan0204, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

So after getting some excellent advice on what to offer someone for a PowerBook G3 PDQ/Wallstreet II that I was looking at, I'm now considering the purchase of the following Pismo:

PowerBook G3 (FireWire)(Pismo)
    400MHz G3 Processor
    128MB of RAM
    6GB Hard Drive
    DVD Drive
    8MB of VRAM
    Screen has no dead/stuck pixels
    Battery lasts 2-3 hours
    Airport Card installed

So basically the Pismo is a stock configuration 400MHz model, except for the Airport Card and 128MB of RAM. I'm looking for advice on what to offer the seller for this laptop.

For reference, the seller is currently asking $500 for the Pismo, but is willing to knock that down to $400 if I sacrifice the Airport Card (they said they bought it a couple months ago for $130). I'm not sure how flexible they are on the price, but I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal. So that's where you guys come in...

Thanks in advance for your help!!

2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

$500 isn't actually a bad deal for that machine, as I've seen them go for $700-800 without the Airport card. Moreover, that Airport card is like gold nowadays. Apple stopped selling them as a retail part. It's only available as a service part, and it costs about $160 (Canadian). However, used Airport cards are available for less than $100. If you can show him somewhere that is selling a used Airport card for cheap (I can find it for $90 Canadian), then you could probably get him to give it away for $450 with the Airport.

I'm curious how the ram is set up. The machine shipped with 64MB, so if it's a 128 stick, then it's fine, but if it's 2x64, then have him take out the ram, and offer him $50-60 less. You can get a Pismo up to 1GB of ram, so 2x64 is absolute crap.

I was a little annoyed that the asking price for Pismos is still so high. That's why I began assembling a franken-Pismo. It can actually be cheaper to scour eBay for Pismo parts, and assemble them into a single working machine. It seems a common thing nowadays not to fix the one bad part on a Pismo, but to disassemble it, and sell the remaining parts so that individuals can replace their one broken part.

I have to say though, good finds you've been making. Let me know if you get a line on another Wallstreet. I've got someone interested.