Please help me get important files off my iPod!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jamdr, Jan 21, 2006.

1. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

OK, so I used my iPod to back up my hard drive, which I then erased and reinstalled OS X. But now when I plug my iPod back into my iBook, it flashes a folder on the screen and says www.apple.com/support/ipod. And then it turns off. Is there any way to get the important files off my iPod? Can anyone help me out here?

I think the problem is that I updated my iPod software to 1.2.1 (it's an iPod w/color screen) and then erased the iPod with Disk Utility before I put my files onto it. According to Apple's website:

"Some iPod models require a specific or later version of iPod software. The iPod may have been partitioned or reformatted using an incompatible format. Restore the iPod using the latest version of the iPod Updater application."

So does this mean I'm screwed? Is there any way to recover my files?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

I'm not entirely sure this will work, but it's worth a try -
    http://www.methodshop.com/mp3/ipodsupport/diskmode/index.shtml

force the iPod into Disk Mode to access the files. All you need to do to get the files off is to appear in Disk Utility as a drive, or in Finder. Do NOT erase/restore/reinstall your iPod, because it WILL erase all the data.

For future reference, use the iPod updater's restore feature to use the iPod as a hard drive, because using disk utility to format the iPod's hard drive results in the iPod not working as an iPod, but as a regular hard drive.

3. jamdr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Thanks SO MUCH!!! That worked like a charm. I thought I had lost everything for a second there.

And yeah, I realized what I had done wrong as soon as I saw that flashing folder icon. The poor iPod didn't know what it was anymore after Disk Utility erased it :(

4. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Also for future file/music transfers you may want to try a free program called Senuti.

It's simple and works. 'nuff said :)

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

i'm pretty sure senuti (oh, gotta be one of my favorite iPod ripping apps.. :D ) doesn't do anything but songs and playlists, but that's no matter - just enable disk usage on the hard drive and drag and drop the files you want from finder :p