Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
To make a long post short, despite my insistence, these customers of mine bought a PC instead of a Mac.

She wants to do video editing and is frustrated that the Windows software she has is so complicated to use (surprise surprise). I know I'm not going to find any thing iMovie-easy, but does anyone have any suggestions for software she could use on a Windows XP PC?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
well... can i ask why you need to help them? do you owe them help? they disregard your suggestion... why should you help them then?

i'm just asking. it would sound very snobbish to tell them "see i told you so, you should have gotten a Mac" but there's some truth to it, you know?

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
jxyama said:
well... can i ask why you need to help them? do you owe them help? they disregard your suggestion... why should you help them then?

i'm just asking. it would sound very snobbish to tell them "see i told you so, you should have gotten a Mac" but there's some truth to it, you know?
Well, believe me, I already told them "this is why I told you..."

I've been helping them for a long time, and they're the nicest people. I wouldn't just turn them away because they didn't go with something I suggested. It's just all their other computers are PCs, and they didn't want to get something different. I have a feeling one day though, she'll change her mind.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
that's a bummer. :(

when i owned a PC, i didn't even think to edit videos so i can't help. (iMovie, however, is amazingly easy... i had never edited a video before but i was able to pick it up fairly quickly.)

good luck trying to help them out...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Well there's also the fact that quite a few people with businesses also say, but the accounting software I have won't work on a Mac (or my accountant refuses to learn a new app.)

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Virtualdub is great freeware (of course you'll have to hunt down and install the necessary codecs). Also Adobe Premiere, if they have the money to spend.

I think all the great free software you get free with the Mac equates to about $1000 worth of comparative Windows software.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Sorry, no sympathy for the devil here

MattG said:
To make a long post short, despite my insistence, these customers of mine bought a PC instead of a Mac.

I tried a few iMovie-like apps on my Vaio, and nothing comes close to the power and functionality of iMovie itself. Crashes, freezes, lousy, lousy results... even the interfaces were crappy. If they wanted to have something like iMove, they should have gotten iMovie, eh?
Nice people, but don't think much of your expertise. They have to live with it, you dont.

I'm sorry, but it's my personal burden that I have absolutely no sympathy for them. I've been in the business too long, have seen everything, and my skin is at least a foot thick.

Oh, I LOVE the Buck Fush.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
MattG said:
I've been helping them for a long time, and they're the nicest people.

Nice. Would they be nice enought to PAY you to do it for them? Could be a way to get some spare cash. :)

MOVIE MAKER 2... try that.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
This situation sounds too familiar. My sister wanted my advice on a new computer so I put together a package for her, even included a PC of equal value. I explained in depth as to why the Mac would be a better environment for her and her children. Yet, in the end she listened to her husband and his family and got a PC, she knows Macs, my whole family, immediate family, are Mac users. Now she want things like iPhoto and iMovie and I have told her, that I am sorry, I can't help anymore. It is hard because I would love to help her but I don't want the frustration of recommending something and then trying to trouble shoot it days later.

Back to you question, Avid use to have a free application that was suppose to run neck and neck with iMovie, not sure whatever happened to it.

Indiana Mac

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2003
Athens, Georgia
Here's the Avid link to their free DV editing software, I've never used it though.

Avid Free DV

As for Premier, it is an expensive and in my opinion aggravating solution. I think that Adobe does offer a lower end version of Premier(I think its called Premier Elements, but I'm not sure the cost).

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I think PC users (the normal consumers) have an inherent fear of using Mac. I tried telling a few friends while they are getting new computers to try a Mac but they just go "but I don't know how to use a Mac". No amount of explaining can sway them from their technophobia so I just say that they should look for someone else to troubleshoot their PC later on, as I am a converted Mac tech....

As for creating videos, like the other posters, I guess Windows Movie maker is the next best thing for your customers

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
angelneo said:
I think PC users (the normal consumers) have an inherent fear of using Mac. I tried telling a few friends while they are getting new computers to try a Mac but they just go "but I don't know how to use a Mac". No amount of explaining can sway them from their technophobia so I just say that they should look for someone else to troubleshoot their PC later on, as I am a converted Mac tech....

As for creating videos, like the other posters, I guess Windows Movie maker is the next best thing for your customers

Just propose the next logical question. Do they REALLY even know how to use their Windows machine? With all of the issues I'm sure they've had, is that not reason enough to give something else a try? I mean, from their standpoint, could it really get any worse?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.