Please Help Me, I Cant Empty My Bin, And My Memorys Full !

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G4LAPPY, Oct 29, 2006.

1. G4LAPPY macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2006
    i have a 2005 g4 laptop, with a 60 gb hard drive which appears to be currently full, i recently started recieving a message warning me that my start up disk was almost full and that i had to delete files to make more space, i checked how much free memory i had left on the hard drive and it was something like 500mb ! so i put a load of files in the trash/bin to delete and when i tried to empty the bin i got the kernal panic screen telling me to switch off and restart my laptop, however the bin did not empty, so now i have the dilemma where my memory is full but i cannot delete files !

somebody with more knowledge than me please help me i dont know what to do

im open to suggestions

thank you in advance
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    boot into target disk mode, connect to another mac and delete files off of it from the other mac.

Or try to boot into single user mode and delete files if that will work.
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    One option:

Open Applications->Utilities->Terminal.

ls -l .Trash/*
    and press return (note the '.').

You should see a number of files, all of which should be ones you don't want. If so: type
    rm -rf .Trash/*
    and press return (note the '.').

This should remove the files therein. Be very careful to type that above command exactly (cut and paste if you'd like).
  4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Definitely be careful. I remember having to do this on my iMac and it was one of the first time I tooled around in the Terminal and I was a bit scared.