Please help me! (iPod skips songs)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Bryan523, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Bryan523 macrumors newbie

Ok, so here's my tragic story (jk). I was on the bus this morning as I usually am, and turned on my iPod to listen to some music during the long ride to school, like i usually do; only to find that whenever I went into music~>artists~>[Band] it would simply shuffle through all the songs until the playliist was finished, then go back to my artists page. It won't play any songs!! Does anyone have any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else?

BTW:I downloaded some program called EphPod. I was trying to do some easier transferring and my friend suggested that program, unfortunately I think it might have caused the issues I'm having right now. Not to mention whenever I plug my iPod into my computer, iTunes says it cannot read the iPod and that i should use the software updater to set my iPod back to factory settings. Do you think that might fix the problem? And if it does, would I lose all my songs?

Thanks
    -Bryan

2. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

Yeah, I have seen this before. The filenames or there, but the songs are not. So it just skips throught the songs until it find ones...or none.

Check and see if the songs are really there. Don't look at file names, but actual space used. You might be suprised.

Or it could be something else.

3. Bryan523 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I thought of that, and I would've done that first, however...my computer won't read my iPod. Yeah, this is what we call a dilemma.:( Thanks for hte suggestion though.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Well it wouldn't hurt to format the iPod in Disk Utility.

Since we all keep backups of our data you can put your music back on the iPod after the reformat.

That i am guessing will work.

5. Bryan523 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I don't hvae a backup of my music...I discovered the "cannot read iPod" issue when I was trying to back it up. Utterly frustrating...:(

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If you don't have your music on your computer, there's not a whole lot you can do. Make an image of the iPod with Disk Utility, and then browse around inside of it with hidden files on (using a program like Onyx to turn them on), and see how many total music files you can find by hand...I wouldn't suggest playing around with the iPod itself, as you could end up making more problems.

If you do have the music on you computer, reformat the 'Pod and start over. :)

7. Bryan523 thread starter macrumors newbie

So there's no way to fix the "won't read iPod" problem without losing my songs?

8. Bryan523 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. davefan6435 macrumors regular

When you reformat your ipod you will lose everything. I had this issue with my old ipod, but it was because the hard drive was damaged I think. I don't really know how to help you, I'm suprised you don't have any of your music backed up on your computer though.

10. bepster macrumors member

it happend to me after a friend droped my iPod, so the the final verdict was that my HD was damaged, I had to buy a new iPod!
    it wasn't such a big deal, just a 3g 15 gb so I was planing to buy a new one anyway...

11. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I find iPod updater solves a lot of these problems, but if it is HD failure, sorry, but that's it.

If you haven't got a backup of all your files, you have learnt a valuable lesson to do this. If you have all the CDs, then you already have backups in effect, if it was downloaded through iTMS, then you have lost a lot of cash, if they came from other (illegal) sources, then they may have even contributed to the problem in the first place. I often find you can download one or two corrupt files and it screws up your iPod and iPod updater is needed.