Please help me make a decision with my iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by machobson, May 30, 2005.

1. machobson macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2005
    I was wondering if you guys could help me make a decision about my iBook. The one I am talking about is described in my sig. Anyways, I could either sell it, or keep it and upgrade it. If I kept it, I would want to buy a new hard drive like a 20gb of something like that, and also get an airport card and base station off eBay or something. I would also like to max out the ram from Crucial. I could either do that or sell and buy a newer iBook or like a Pismo Powerbook with FireWire so I could run Tiger. I don't really mind if its not top preformance because I would just use it for school for typing, email and maybe some light iLife stuff. What does everyone think I should do?

ADD: A reason why I wouldn't consider selling it is because the offers that I have gotten on it are way below what I payed for it. I payed $400 Canadian on eBay after a USD to CAD dollar exchange.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Unless you really need portability, sell it and don't replace it. Use the eMac for iLife etc. :)
  3. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Um, computers depreciate, just like most other things. How long ago did you buy it? If you don't care about running OS X, keep it. In all other cases you should just sell it. That is a pretty ancient computer at this point, so if you want to use OS X or iLife or any modern app, you should get a newer laptop. I wouldn't even consider a Pismo, if I were you. They are good computers, but unfortunately the graphics chip is really primitive. Sell the iBook and get a last-generation 800-900 MHz iBook G3.

PS: Some friendly advice: trim your sig to 1 or 2 lines or a mod will probably do it for you. It takes up way too much space :cool:
  4. machobson thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2005
    Thanks for the advice and the friendly tip on my signature. :)