Please Help Me Partition My HD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mcmike100, Apr 10, 2005.

1. mcmike100 macrumors member

I have a external LaCie hard drive which I'm trying to partition to use both with my Mac and my PC.

I want to have three partitions: one FAT32, one NTFS, and one MAC EXTENDED.

On my PC, I partitioned the FAT32 and NTFS, leaving free space for the MAC EXTENDED. However, when I then run Disk Utility on my Mac, it shows the two existing ones, and under Volume Scheme it says Current. When I change that to 3 Partitions, the existing ones disappear.

How can I make my three partitions since neither the PC nor Mac partitioning program can create all three formats?

Thanks

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This article seems to suggest that it's better to partition your drive using Disk Utility on your Mac, and then take the partitioned drive back to Windows to do the NTFS and FAT32 formats.

3. mcmike100 thread starter macrumors member

But if in Disk Utility on the Mac I set it to be 3 partitions of free space, when I take it to the PC it sees the drive as completely blank with no partition information.

Even if on the Mac I set it to be 3 partitions (2 free space and one MAC OS EXTENDED), when I plug it into the PC it just sees it all as free space.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
  5. mcmike100 thread starter macrumors member