Please Help Me Re-Install Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mileslong, Apr 20, 2006.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

something along the way has screwed up my iphoto. i installed the new iphoto 6 and although it opens my photos i cant edit them or anything else. i wont open them in the big window at all. the guys at the apple store couldnt figure it out either.

i have now messed with it and have no doubt deleted some important part of iphoto as i tried to load my old i photo that i have backed up in my lacie external drive.

well it is just basically broken so i was wondering if i backed up everything i have now then wipe my disc and reinstall tiger if that might fix this problem?

if so, how do i go about doing this? do i delete everything currently on my hard drive? by just putting in the tiger disc will it overwrite everything? is there some special way to wipe clean my HD first?

help! :D

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Once you have everything backed up pop in the Tiger CD/DVD. Restart the computer and hold down the "C" key (upper or lower case, doesn't matter... I use lowercase). It will then boot from the disc. If you go with the defaults I believe it will do an archive and install (not 100% sure on that) but what you want is a clean install it sounds like. One of the screens early on should have a "customize" button in the lower left. Click on it and choose the erase/install option. Then go go go!

3. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

thanks fo much for the info. i really appreciate it!

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You want to clean install OSX because of a problem with iPhoto?

Why not just reinstall iPhoto? Or have I missed something here?

5. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

i have reinstalled iphoto. i previsouly had iphoto 5 then started having these problems so i bought iphoto 6 and it has the exact same problem. it works except you cant edit any pictures or ipen them in the big window, you only get thumbnails. grrrrrr

i dont know if reinstalling tiger will do anything or not but i have to try something

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If this is your only problem, then I certainly would not go through the grief of a reinstallation, which may well not fix the problem with iPhoto anyway. I'm suspecting that you've got some sort of corruption with the iPhoto database. If you have a backup source for your photos, you might consider reinstalling it. If you don't have a backup source for your photos, then reinstalling OSX won't cure your problem. Have you tried exporting the photos from iPhoto?

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Try what Reilly is saying. Export all your originals, delete the entire iPhoto database then import the originals back in. See what that does.

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

My guess is that you have some sort of corruption in your photo library. You could try to export all your photos, recreate a new photo library, and then reimport your photos.

ooops, beat me to it.

9. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

:D

10. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

how do i recreate my iphoto library? all of my pictures also reside in finder so im not worried about losing them but i cant find a way to rebuild my iphoto database...

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's being suggested that you delete the current iPhoto library and start from scratch.

12. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

i have done that and reinstalled and it never changes anything, i have lost the ability to edit photos. it will do the other things but the edit feature is gone...:(