Please, help me recapture my WEP password!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dale Cooper, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

I'm doing a clean install of the OS, but have forgotten my wep password for the local wireless network. Is there any way I can find this on my computer? Is it saved in my keychain, so I can copy that and replace it after the install?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. ammon macrumors regular

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Yup.

5. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Since you have it saved to keychain, you can just use keychain to show you the password.

In KeyChain, find the network account in the list, then double click on it. A box will pop up, and at the bottom there is a box you can tick off that says "Show password". click that and enter your keychain password (or user password if you don't have a seperate keychain one) and click "Allow Once", and it will show you your network password in the prior window field.

6. Dale Cooper thread starter macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

I've got my password back!

Thanks erveryone.

7. jmelrose macrumors regular

Let's take this a step further...

Hi.
    Last weekend I upgraded my hard drive and rebuilt my new drive setup, then transferred over all my files and so forth from the old hard drive. However, I have one last hiccup, which is that the wireless access point password @ work has a WEP password, which I typed in long ago and saved on a keychain. So far so good. However, now the problem is I can't get the password to "sync" with the new network setting box. It keeps asking for the password for "keychain.system" which I don't understand. This is MY Mac (not a work machine), so all the passwords on it are largely the same, but the login one didn't change, and I don't understand what it's looking for. If I can give it this "system" password, I can then view the password on the keychain in Keychain Access and then re-enter it into the network setup. For some reason I have more roadblocks than the person who started this topic. Hmmm.

Anyone have any ideas? Any terminal tricks or anything which would allow me to regain access to this last mystery password? My backup plan is having the IT department come by and re-enter it, but they're backlogged about "7-10 business days" apparently, so I'm hoping I can restore it quicker than that.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I can be directly contacted at: jmelrose@mac.com as well. Thanks.

Best wishes,
    J.Melrose

8. jmelrose macrumors regular

Thanks, but I've done the Apple Support route already. I appreciate pointing it out to me, however. I'm hoping maybe some of our board experts can be of assistance at this point, as other options have gone dry.

JMelrose