Please help me set up my wireless router...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nospleen, Jan 6, 2004.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I did a search, but could not find anything that helps me. I have a 17" PB with an airport extreme card. I just bought a D-Link 2.4ghz Wireless access point. (DWL-700AP) I have no clue how to set this thing up. I messed around with it, but no luck. I set up my dad's airport base station, it was so easy, typical apple. My ISP is Roadrunner high speed cable service. Please help me set this up. I need it explained step for step or I am sure I will mess it up. Thanks!!

2. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

It should be pretty easy to setup. Once you properly hook up the hardware. You login to the main computer connected to the router through ethernet. You go to a IP address that is provided by the manufacture, it will either have a wizard to help you set up your connections or you can do it manually. Do it manually, should be a tab thats labeled "wireless." You should see "Wireless Card Access" click on that and then click add, you should see your Airport Card listed. If you need any more help you can IM me on AIM PilgrimsPro.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: Please help me set up my wireless router...

nospleen,

I think you bought the wrong thing. The DWL-700AP is an access point and not a router. You'll need a router in between your cable modem and DWL-700AP.

Or you could return it and get a wireless router. D-link makes one as well.

Another thing, the 700AP is an 802.11b product. Your PB is 11g. You should probably go with an 11g router just so you get the full benefit. It'll only cost you about $20 more or so.

4. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Ok, excuese the dumb ass question here. What is an access point?

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

In my limited expertise, an access point is basically a wireless hub. It can take an IP address and split it to different computers. But it won't handle the DCHP stuff. You'll need a router for that. If you look at d-link's page for the 700AP, you can see how the access point is used. They show the cable model going into a router then into the 700AP.

An access point would be useful for extending the range of your wireless network.

In your case, I really think you need a wireless router.

6. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

That will work with no problems. Many people in this forum have that router. I personally have the 802.11g version of that (MR614) and it works fine.

Since you have Airport Extreme, you may want to look at getting the 614 instead of the 814.

8. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I am too cheap, I have to pay a restocking fee on the access point. But, I am only surfing the web, so G would not help me, right? It is more for file transfers, isnt it?

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Well, instead of paying for a restocking fee, you might want to consider buying a regular router and using the d-link. I'm not sure if it would work, but that's how d-link's picture is shown.

As for g vs. b. Yes, you wouldn't notice the difference if you're just surfing the net on a cable modem. If you plan on doing file transfers between computers, you might notice (as long as all computers were 11g).

So before you return the 700AP, you might want to talk to the d-link people to see if a regular router might solve your problems. Routers are usually pretty cheap.

10. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I just ordered the other one. :eek: Oh well, at least I should be wireless by Friday! Thank you for all of your help and pilgrimspro too!