Please help me stop MS Word starting up automatically

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by allamb, Jan 26, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Jan 17, 2006
    For some reason MS Word has decided to start up when i turn my mac on!!! i have searched for the start up folder but find nothing with the apps that start up automatically.

Can anyone suggest anything PLEASE:confused:
  2. macrumors 68020

Sep 27, 2005
    There is a folder inside the hard drives library called "startupitems". Or it could be a setting within Words preferences. Also look around in your System Preferences. I dont remember where but I believe the startup settings are located somewhere in there. Im at work now and dont have admin priv's so I cant poke around.
  3. macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items :)
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 17, 2006
  5. macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2013
    MS word opening up at start uo onmy mac

I have gone to system preferences ---> Account & Groups------> loggin items, and there is nothing there. Word is still opening and no one seems to know how to stop this.
  6. macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Right click the icon in your dock. Does it have a check next to open at login? If so, just uncheck it. If not, hmm..
  7. macrumors newbie

Dec 19, 2013
    Having the same issue

Word and Excel auto-open when I start up each morning.

There is no checkmark next to "Options > Open at Login" for either program.

There is a checkmark next to "System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an application (when selected, open documents and windows will not be restored when you re-open an application)."

There is no other option under "System Preferences > General" related to applications or windows. Similarly, there is no related option appearing under ""System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options."

I went to "Finder > Applications > Microsoft Options 2011 > Office > Startup" and found three files in the folder -- for Word, Excel and PowerPoint (which is not auto-opening at startup). I removed those files, and Word and Excel are still auto-opening at startup.

These are all the suggestions I've seen online, and none has made a difference.
  8. macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2014
    Having the exact same problem. Please share if you have found a solution.
  9. macrumors newbie

Feb 18, 2014
    Stop Word from opening on startup

once Word has opened click 'Word-->preferences-->general
    This is where you can change the setting.