Please help me turn off this talking man!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by john_satc, Oct 11, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

I have somehow, in the last 20 minutes, turned on some talking feature on my iBook! And in that time, I have been driven mad!
    Basically, whenever I click on a window, for example iTUnes, it will say 'iTunes...iTunes....button....' and then explain what different buttons mean ! It is really annoying and in such an awful voice that is making me mad! How do I turn this off!?

2. macrumors 6502a

fayans

You might have turned 'on' Speakable Items which can be found in System Preferences > Speech, haven't you?

3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

And, until you find the cause, there's always "mute". Might wanna do that before you fix things. Otherwise, every attempt to fix it will be narrated to you.... ;)

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Speakable items is off. As is mute. The drone was sending me mad and no amount of music could stop it :(

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

I really don't think my iBook likes me. Spotlight won't work, the man is driving me away by talking and now this.... Why is nothing working properly !!!

Attached Files:

• !!!!.jpg
      !!!!.jpg
      File size:
      92.3 KB
      Views:
  6. dcv
    macrumors G3

It sounds as though you've accidentally turned on Voiceover.

If you haven't already fixed this... hit [Command (apple key)], [Fn] and [F5] to turn it off.

7. macrumors 6502a

zakatov

If the problem(s) is still there, just repair permissions/reboot; should fix it.

8. macrumors member

9. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Did your Spotlight just stop working? If not, you may want to reindex your drive. Simply head to the System Pref's Spotlight panel. Using the '-' select your drive as one to not be searched. After a minute or so, remove that setting making your drive searchable by Spotlight. Let the indexing proceed, and whatever you do, do not logout or turn off your computer...That is unless you want to go through the process again. ;)

10. macrumors newbie

Talking Mac---aaaah!

If you use the "Command" button and the "F5" button at the same time, it will turn off the "talking mac" problem! Very annoying how you can inadvertently turn on that "text-to-speech" thing.....I know!!

11. macrumors member

While yes this question was answered.... I just had to try voice over. Any yes I can confirm... it's annoying...:)

12. macrumors 601

fireshot91

Lol, if you turn it on, and go to this thread, it says

"Firefox, Mac Forums, Please Help me turn off this talking man!"

EDIT: Sorry didn't realize that this thread was from '05.

13. macrumors member

Jump into the computer and choke the bastard.

14. macrumors member

Bwahahaha. Thanks for this thread. I accidentally did this after a rough night. Trippy and terrible...

15. nwg
    macrumors newbie

dude you are a genius, that voice over, was repeating everything on display step by step and wont allow me to move on. was driving me bonkers! thanks ,it has worked

16. macrumors newbie

i dont know did you help the otjer guy, but my mac does not talk any more and my number 0 working again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. if youever come to Phoenix AZ, i will buy you drink, :)