Please Help Meeee!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ExistVsEvolve, Jan 25, 2006.

1. ExistVsEvolve macrumors newbie

ExistVsEvolve

i have an ibook g4. i was going to reinstall mac os x so i already put all my documents and such on disk, but after reinstalling the os i find my computer will rarely get past the gray startup screen. when i tried to log in under single mode it said I/O failure...and won't give me a command line so i can't even try fsck... safe mode hasn't worked at all yet, though perhaps i'm not waiting long enough; there's a cd that's in there also, tech tool deluxe. when it actually went to the tech tool the surface scan and volume structure tests failed and i tried to use tech tool to repair them but after it was apparently done it tried to restart it's self and now i'm back to the grey startup screen again.... i've included as many details as possible off the top of my head so maybe someone who knows more about macs will be able to help me, i've never had to fix one before.

any and all help would be much appreciated, i'm addicted to photoshop cs and i hate this crappy hp pc i'm now using to cry for help!
    :confused: :eek: :(

2. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Finished?

Did you try another clean install, after the first failed? ( Is your DVD stuck? )

To me, it looks like your HD is finished.

3. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Is this TechTools disc the one that came in the AppleCare box? If so, it was the disc that caused the problem. The version of TTP on that disc does not work under Tiger, and can screw up the OS install at the least. It does sound like a hard drive problem, or some other hardware. You'll need to take it to an Apple Service Provider to have it fixed up.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

For future notice, it's much more helpful if your topic lends itself to what the issue might be concerning. Something like "Can't get past startup screen" will is much more helpful to those that browse the forums than a cry for help. Plus you are more likely to get people that have had experience with locking up at the startup screen.

5. ExistVsEvolve thread starter macrumors newbie

ExistVsEvolve

i needed a topic name that stood out. that's just how i am, i don't need you to question or correct me. plus it's more than not being able to get past the startup screen, if you didn't notice. if you're going to open something that says "please help me" the least you can do is actually be helpful. i'll humour you and repost it with that title but i really don't think that'll change the number of replies. "can't get beyond start-up screen" is a somewhat generic problem, and makes you sound like a complete idiot. i've gotten beyond that fricken grey screen that is driving me nuts, i've tried a bunch of things and none of them are working so i made my cry for help. i don't think "can't get beyond start-up screen, except once in a while then it wont go beyond tech tool deluxe, and if it does it goes back to the start-up screen" is too long to be the title. at this point i'm pretty sure i'm just going to have to finally use my apple care...

6. ExistVsEvolve thread starter macrumors newbie

ExistVsEvolve

gad-darn. i'm so thankful i got the applecare. some stupid girl told me i can't use it though because i failed to register within a year, but i always thought you had to buy the applecare within a year. she was a ditz who didn't belong working in any type of computer/electronics store anyway, so hopefully next time i visit there will be someone competent working. thanks for the heads up, i knew i should have updated when my friend gave me the chance...

7. ExistVsEvolve thread starter macrumors newbie

ExistVsEvolve

yes!:eek: it is also stuck in there. it looks that way to me, too. thank goodness i backed up all my documents and a few key applications on disk before this mess all started.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Calm down there... :)

Imagine you go into a "Mac help forum" and every post says, "Please help me". Now imagine one says "Networking problems", another says "Can't access CD drive", and another says "Can't empty trash", and so on...

All I'm saying is that people are more apt to open your thread if they know a bit about the problem first. There are hundreds of threads posted here and every little bit of sorting helps. Just trying to assist you during your stay here.

Please do not repost your problem as it would be considered a duplicate post and most likely locked.

Good luck with your issue.

9. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

You do need to buy AppleCare within a year. You can register it after the first year. In fact, as a Reseller, I always recommend not registering it until absolutely necessary. If you're within your 3 year AppleCare period, you can call Apple to register the warranty. As far as I'm aware, it can't be done online at this stage. At the least, you may need to fax them a copy of your invoice for the AppleCare as proof of date of purchase. They then add the AppleCare to the warranty period. The reason we suggest waiting is because occasionally Apple will mess up, and rather than give you 3 years from the purchase date, they will give you 3 years from the registration date of the AppleCare. (Up to) 6 years is better than 3!

10. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

....you should've registered Apple Care prior to ONE YEAR. duh . . .

11. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

No need to be snippy here. Logically, there's no real reason to register AppleCare until a problem arises. It's the same reason why I don't register my Macs upon setup. That is, it's none of Apple's business the state of my machines until I need something from them. When they need to know, they'll be told.

Moreover, registration within one year is often unfeasible. If you walk into the store on the last day of your 1 year warranty, and wish to buy AppleCare, but they have none in stock, what do you do? You don't throw up your hands and suffer through the next two years without warranty. No, you order it, and keep the invoice. Apple has never required registration within the first year, only purchase.

12. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

That's really helpful info TL, I never knew that. :cool:

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

The odds that an Apple Store would let you walk out without getting AppleCare is very, very, VERY slim. In fact, sometimes Apple's so annoying about it that they call you at the phone number you registered the computer with, and asks you if you'd like to purchase AppleCare, often at a small discount from the regular price.

And it doesnt matter if a computer's registered or not. Apple counts the warranty period from approximate date of purchase, and not when you register. tbh, I have little snitch installed, and I don't see anything that would potentially tell Apple more about my computer than I want.

14. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Yes, Apple's system is based on approximate purchase date, which is exactly why they're accustomed to making adjustments to it based on actual invoices. As of now, their "estimated purchase date" is actually the date it leaves Shanghai. As such, the machine is often bought months later. This is a big issue, and so one will often need to have them adjust the date. Apple will honour the warranty from the time of actual purchase, if you provide them with an invoice showing the date. In this light, it makes perfect sense for Apple to be able to change their system to reflect AppleCare registered after the one year.

Oh, and while an Apple Store might always have copies of AppleCare, not everyone shops at the Apple Store.