Please help. My 20" intel imac display will not turn on.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by anthny680, Mar 14, 2006.

1. anthny680 macrumors member

Before I left for school i pressed the sleep button. When I came back the computer was somehow completely off. When i tried to start up everything sounded normal but neither the apple sound nor display turned on. The only light coming from the iMac was a solid (not blinking) white from the bottom right corner. I tried several times to turn power off and on with no progress. So i called apple care and they had me restart the SMU. We did this and still no display upon start up. All i was getting was the fans turned on full blast.

Has anyone encountered this problem with their imac? Is there a thread i can refer to?
    I have some important files on the computer that I would hate to loose.

Any help appreciated,

THanks
    Mark:(

2. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

I had a similar problem. It turned out that one of the ram chips I installed was not seated all the way. Pushed all the way into place and it has been fine ever since. So have you added any ram?

3. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

If there is no startup sound then it is possible that the Logic Board suffered a catastrophic failure. In that case you need to send it back to Apple and they will replace it. I think that is the problem, since it was mysteriously off and the fans are crazy.
    Call Apple or go to a genius bar. Thank god for AppleCare!

4. anthny680 thread starter macrumors member

i believe that was precisley the problem. I just bought a new dell m70 laptop for production work. I installed the 2x1gig chips from my intel imac into the m70 and the 2x512 from the dell to the imac. I must have been a little sloppy!
    THanks alot,

Mark

5. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

The restarting of the SMU is what caused the fans to run. I think that will stop after it is shut down for a while.

6. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

LOL, Im just glad your logic board wasn't cooked!

7. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

intel chips?

is it just me or are these intel computers having a lot a problems?:confused:

8. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

Not really.

9. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Yeah, I'm not hearing any actual widespread problems.

10. direzz macrumors 6502

the fans are a type of saftey precaution. it may be your power supply. the computer probbaly doesnt know whats going on so its blasting the fans at full blast to stop it from over heating. take it to your apple retailer and have them help you.

11. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

This was clearly user error.

12. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

My iMac intel running like a champ, not problems, not even a wireless problem others are having.

ANTHNY680

Did you do a hard shut down (pressing the power button on the back for 10 seconds). then restart.