Please help, my iPod died on me yesturday

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Moskit509, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Moskit509 macrumors newbie

Nov 11, 2005
    I was listening to music and it was acting up and stuff, like I would select a song but it wouldn't play it and stuff like that, and then all of a sudden I select a song and it freezes. I restart it and it seems fine but then I select a song and the screen goes blank and then it gives me an iPod with an unhappy face and the website for Apple Support. I tried everything they told me but nothing had any effect on the iPod. I could not put it into disk mode and the computer does not even recognice it, neither does iTunes or the Updater. :mad: I am going to an Apple store tomarrow, will they be able to give me a full refund of my purchase price? I bought it MArch 2005 so its still in warrenty and I want a refund so I can go buy a Creative MP3 player.

Thanks guys
  2. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2005
    Austin, TX
    You may want to try to reset it by holding the select and menu buttons down at the same time for about 7 seconds. If this doessn't work, the Apple Store is the best bet. You're still covered under the 1-year warranty, so they'll probably give you a spanking new iPod.
  3. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2003
    you won't get a refund. Too bad with the bum-iPod, but a new one should work just fine - you'll get the same model you had most likely.
  4. Moskit509 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 11, 2005
    I heard they gave you a REFURBISHED iPod of the same model you had...:confused:
  5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Apr 29, 2005
    A refund??? No way will you get a refund on something you have used since March
  6. matthew24 macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002
    I did have the same problem ( twice ! ) , the reset worked fine, after that I had to use the iPod software updater and finally sync all my music files again.:eek:
  7. SKFreak macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2005
    this just happed to me at school today so i set it in my locker not knowing what to do and hoping after the battery dies i could charge it and it would be fine but half way through the day my friend told me about holding the middle button and the menu button
  8. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I had three HD iPods. All three broke within 10 months. #1 was HD, #2 was battery burn up and #3 was HD

Then I bought a nano.
  9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

There's definitely something to be said for Flash-based memory. Conventional hard drives just aren't up to the task for MP3 players IMO. Not if you plan on moving it. :(
  10. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004

I spent some time looking around a Circuit City store last night (there to buy digital camera) and the selection of MP3 players was pathetic. Tons of the little eye candy shuffle wanna be's (although most had screens etc) but to the point, all others of similar form function and capacity paled in comparison to the ipods. I cannot believe the stuff that is out there.

Regardless of the problems that I would have with a product, be it Apple or another, just because I have had a problem with it would not lend me to jumping off the cliff. Since it is still under warranty you have no issues, take it back and get it replaced. If a refurb is an issue, make sure that you state that a refurb is not an acceptable replacement for a $300 item that is only 8 months old.

good luck!!
  11. lopresmb macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    yeah, don't expect a refund, but they hopefully will be able to fix you up and get you running again. They usually are pretty generous at Apple stores and unless its obvious that you took a sledge hammer to it, they'll get it working for you again in some manner...
  12. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Erm, excuse me, what do you mean by "generous"?

Please don't give the wrong impression that when the OP visits his nearest AppleCentre they are going to smile at him, and send a pretty girl to fetch a brand new iPod from the shelve, because *snaps finger* wake up from your bloody dream.

He will just get a form to fill out, and probably wait a couple weeks, and maybe get back his original iPod if he is lucky.

Unless of course by generous you meant "Oh! Apple will fulfill their contractual obligations!"
  13. jab1981 macrumors newbie

Nov 13, 2005
    Look I hate the iPod and I think it's a one of the most poorly constructed devices I've ever seen... but the Apple customer service is excellent. I went through 4 iPods in under two years because they couldn't make a functional product... but I never waited more than a week to get a replacement. And my iPod was engraved to boot! Each time I received a refurbished iPod that looked shiny and new. Your comment is horribly inaccurate.

There's plenty to rag on Apple about when it comes to iPods... and to be fair, perhaps they've managed to make their products a bit better now that they've gone a put out a few more models... but you shouldn't touch their customer service. Granted I had to pay $60 to get that service... so perhaps it's just a case of getting what you pay for. Then again, when I bought my 30gig 3G I had to pay $700 for it. I'm still waiting to get what I paid for with that one.