Please Help....Office v.X Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Montano, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Montano macrumors regular

May 5, 2003
    Sunny CA :)
    I was messing with the Microsoft 'preferences', trying to change some Messenger settings, but couldn't figure out where they were. Evidently I did something to Microsoft Word, because now when I try to open up Word I get 'this installation exceeds the number of installation on the liscence agreement'. And it just closes. I need to get Word back...... I have completely uninstalled Office, and then reinstalled. And I get the same thing. Please help.
  2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Do you have it installed on another computer? If you have it running on 1 computer and then try to run it on another computer on the same network it will give that message. If you only have it on 1 machine than I have no idea what you did.
  3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    That has happened to my sister on her Toshiba XP laptop. Microsoft's new licensing agreement is a real pain in the ass and if you try reinstalling one of their programs, when you go to open it, all it does is say "Too bad, you shouldn't have tried to install me again" in so many words. I had to call tech support and basically go through hoops complaining and saying my sister had to reinstall the program due to XP being unstable and losing data and "begging" for a new license key to run Office XP again.
  4. Gus macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Hmm....I've had to reinstall Office before, and I've never had that problem. Have you tried trashing the MS Word .plist file?

5. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    1 Loop
    This has been bugging me, i have office v.x installed on all the macs in the house and it has never given me that..... But what i really want to know is does office v.X have a CD Key because my doesent, yes its legal......
  6. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    CD Key

yes.. the retail Versio of Office has a CD key

As for mulitiple verisions of Office on the same lan. If you use the same serial number on more than one installation of Office, they will not run at the same time.

If any of you are doing that and it doesnt give you the problems, you are ether never running the applications at the same time, you are not on the same LAN, or you have your firewall set up correctly.

Unfortunaly MS made it harder with an update. It used to be that Office would talk on a few ports.. now it talks on a random port in a port range. There are little fixes out there that will set up your OSX firewall for you to filter that kind of stuff out. I personaly fliter all that stuff out but I only have one ligal copy of Office unning on only one Mac. I just dont like MS putting out un-needed network traffic on my LAN.

7. lorisch macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2011

How do you trash the .plist file?