Please Help..Password trouble

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by teabgs, Feb 5, 2002.

1. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Hey guys (and gals). So, my roomate decided that he wanted to put multiple users onto his computer tonight after a little prank I played on him (changing all his prefs and locking him out of his computer). He is not very smart when it comes to computers and doesnt remember what the password he used was when he first setup up his admin status. We cant figure it out and we dont want to have to reinstall anything to create a new password. Does anyone know how to find out what the password is? if so we'd be much appreciated. thanks.

edit: He's using an ibook G3 w/ OS9

2. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

hahaha. why do i have a feeling your roommate doesnt have any password problems... you just want to show him you can still access him computer.

not sure but have you tried booting from a cd. it might prompt you for the password to let you into the browser like it does booting with extensions off does.

3. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

Seriously though

I dont need to get access cause I can get it if I want it...He seriously IS an idiot. he's luckly he can use his hub...it took me a week to teach him how it all works a year ago. I have gotten multiple users off, and I think I might just run a script or something that appears to be a password cause he wont know the difference, then hes happy, and I dont have to do anything to figure it out for him....I am still interested i how to do it thoguh

4. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Boot the machine from the OS X CD-ROM

I'm assuming this is OS 10?

If so, boot the machine from the OS X CD-ROM. Then look under the Apple menu and you'll find a utility for resetting the password.

5. ThomasB macrumors member

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

boot boot boot... its da only way.... for OS 9...

im coming up... got to let it go.. got to let it show....

boot boot boot

irmongoose

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

There is another way, a bit more complex

Get another mac with Firewire too, fine a firewire cable, plug them both and when you start up your computer you will press the "T" key on the keyboard. That is gonna transform your computer (your friend computer) in to an external hard drive basicly. You will see the icons on the desck top of the other computer. Then you can manipulate the locked computer as you please, even deleting the preferences or moving the extensions.

The good thing about firewire connection is that you can even use the others computer RAM. Las week I was using After Effects and I need to do somethn in Photoshop 6. My friend had Photoshop 5 in his computer, so jus playing around I plug my Pismo with the firewire and I was able to open up Photoshop 6. I ran a bit slow but above the average.

8. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

OSX does not seem to be very secure! If someone took your computer or wanted to get access to it, all they need is an OSX startup disk!! This is a way to remove a password + render all protection gone!! Am I missing something here?