Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
BROOKLYN
Hi Everyone,

Just bought a used 15" Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz, 80GB HD, 1.125GB RAM from a friend a few months ago and it started doing some strange things the other day and then pretty much died. I bought this machine for the PCI port since I shoot a lot of HD video and can download the cards using the port directly. My friend had dumped his data but not completely 0 -ed out the HD before selling it to me. Anyway I was using it on a job the other day and it started crashing and then running really slow and then refused to boot at all. We were able to rescue our critical data to an external drive so I just put it away and finished the job. When I got it back to the office I erased the drive in Disc Utility and then reinstalled the system from the disc (10.5.1) then I went out today and bought Tech Tool Pro 4 and ran all the diagnostics. The computer seems to be running fine but when I ran Tech Tools it came up with 2 bad blocks in the Surface Scan of the HD (passed all other tests). It recommended wiping the disk and I'm wondering if this is going to help considering I just wiped the disc and reinstalled the software. Should I do as the test says or is this a problem that is going to be recurring until I replace the HD? Or should I just not worry about the 2 bad blocks (I've read on this forum about people who have 100's of bad blocks, do I need to worry about 2)???

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!!!! Thanks in Advance.

Best,
rk

PS I apologize for the excessive punctuation in my title but at least it got you to read this far. Thanks.

Designer1

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2008
There are some programs that can be used to isolate the bad sectors on hard drives. My BF did it for a hard drive that went into a laptop I gave to my sister. Two years later it is still working fine. Unfortunately, I do not have much experience with this on a personal level :( Maybe someone with more experience will pipe up or you can search some forums on this topic?

The best thing to do would be to replace it if you can. Once the hard drive starts getting bad sectors it's likely to continue along that path...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.