Please help: probable mouse or keyboard problem on C2D iMac 20"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dasmgmc, Sep 27, 2006.

1. dasmgmc macrumors newbie

I got the computer yesterday. After I turned it on for the first time last night, it went through the regular set-up process without any problem. Then after reboot, I started to hear a noise coming from the mouse every time it moves; the sound is almost like electrical sparks! Then came the weirdest experience! I had a couple of windows open - Safari, iTune, for example. But with slightest movement of the mouse the windows started to fly around the desktop. I couldn't even put the cursor on the close button. The screen would also turn dimmer by itself and would come back up again. I tried to open the dashboard; but as soon as the cursor moves away from the dashboard icon in the dock, all the widgets (there are four of them came with the computer) will close. I thought the problem must be with the mouse. This mornign I brought the mouse to my college bookstore (I bought the computer there just yesterday). I tried out the mouse on their demo iMac and there was no problem! When I go home tonight, I will try to plug in the mouse on the USB port on the back of the iMac and see if that solevs the problem; then I'll know may be the problem is with keyboard. Any help/suggestion/comment is greatly appreciated.:confused: :(

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

You've got a hardware problem. Sounds like the mouse to me (where the sound was coming from)--maybe something is shorted out, and jostles in and out of place so that sometimes the problem goes away. Or, as you say, there could be a problem where you are plugging it in.

What's happening is you are triggering Exposé. A side effect of your mouse "clicking itself."