PLEASE HELP! QuickSilver Dual 1Ghz wont turn on!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by edesignuk, Aug 24, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hi all,

The worst thing has happened! I got up this morning, went to turn on my QuickSilver (with a clean build of Jag from last night)and it wont power up! :(
    When you press in the power button the light comes on but the machine does not make any noises (PSU fan, HDD spinning up etc), then when u releasse the power button the light just goes off and all stays silent.
    I have applecare and will be giving them a call, but I just wondered if any of you guys had any idea what might be at fault here?

Many thanks.

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Ouch that sucks, You may have a loose cable inside your powermac that is causing the problem. I doubt its Jaguar if your system dies you usually get to a screen.
    Did u install anything last night? That might have caused a hiccup, I had my system crash after I installed an old 9 game.
    Bummer, call Apple I would go with the experts on this one.

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

God bless Applecare!
    I just rang them and they'll be here to collect it on Tuesday (can't on Monday because it's a bank holiday), I'm so relieved!
    Can't quite imagine the same service from PC World if I'd bought a dodgy Compaq/HP/Packard Bell PC and it had died, I would have been on the phone all weekend running up a massive phone bill and still not got anywhere.
    The lady at apple said it would be a 10-14 day turnaround which isn't to bad, but what's your experiance with it, how long was your mac away for?
    I'm still pretty depressed, I have to use crappy Winblows XP for the next 2 weeks, and I had just started using Jaguar and installing my apps again.

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

if you buy a pc from best buy and get their service on in, they will send a guy to your house to fix it on the spot...can't beat that.

...i had a motherboard go out on me in an athlon 1.3 ghz and everytime i tried to turn it on got the blue screen of death! so they sent a guy out and he took a look at it and was like....i think you need one of these...put the new mobo in and poof...works like a peecee should again (slow and crapily) but at least it turns on

5. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

6. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

not too bad, wen my ibook had some problems i was stuck on an OLD dell that was running windoze 98 and would freeze every time i tried to use the .mac webmail:D luckally apple had me back on a proper macheine in about a week, but it wasnt a plesant experiance, i actually broke 500 posts on that computer during that time;)

7. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hehehe, that's to bad. My PC isn't actually to bad, an AMD 1.4Ghz, 512Mb DDR, dual screens. But what has really got my back up is that I just recieved and installed Jaguar, and was looking forward to a solid weekend of playing about with it...now I'm gonna have to wait a couple of weeks before I can. :(

8. Sepulchre macrumors member

I sent my TiBook away for repair last month, it was picked up in Scotland on Friday afternoon, shipped to Germany, repaired and shipped back to me by the following Wednesday. At 9.30am as well! 3 working day's - not to shabby :D

9. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

WOW! That's a great service! I only hope I get treated as well as u were.

10. Sepulchre macrumors member

It was the second time i've had to send a TiBook away (different one), the first time it was turned around in about 6 days, still really good though.

Hope they get yours sorted as quickly :)

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Me to! :D Windows sucks and I want my mac back!

12. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Sorry to hear about this verbose, my old ibook 300 when wrong once, they took it away 1 day and it cameback 1 morning after. Now that was good service.

I still don't see the point of apple care, if you know where to buy, you can still get 2 years warranty for free.

13. Sepulchre macrumors member

In the UK? Cool, do tell!

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

John Lewis I believe.

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Also if you buy your computer with a Visa Platinum card Visa doubles your normal warranty.

16. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Yeah, after they rip you off with ridiculous rates of interest.

Yeah as verbose said, John Lewis give a 2 year warranty on all computers for free. Only thing is don't expect them to get the things quickly, they only received the new ipods today.

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Do you consider a fixed 8.9% rediculous. Besides I will pay it off in a few months wich will not acrue much interest at all and I will end up with an extra year of warranty.

18. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Anything above 1% is rediculous, get a debit card and save yourself money.

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have a debit card but you should never ever make purchases on the net with a debit. I will end up paying 3 to 4 dollars interest on my new computer and I will have 2 years instead of 1 year of warranty.

I will make no more replies along this line of topic this thread has gotten grossly off topic.

20. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

It usually helps if you explain? Is this for safety reasons, this is why we have 128 bit encryption for and use sites we have heard of.

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

128bit has been broken if you haven't heard and not all sites give you 128bit all the time. Even if one page has it does not mean the next one is secure.

Debit cards are not secured as are most credit cards and especially ones of the Platinum and Gold variety. If mine is used in a way that I did not personally authorize I am not responsible for 1 cent of anything. Debit on the other had is once the money is gone it's gone. It's similar to the what happens with counterfeit money if you have some whether or not you know it and it found to be counterfeit it will be taken and and you will be without this money no compensation.

I hope you understand this. Debit is like cash once it's gone there is no guaranty that you will get it back. Where the credit is a loan and is not your money therefore is secured by a big company with lawyers and in my case I don't owe anything if it's misused.

I do not wish to lead this thread off topic any please refrain from anymore comments along this subject line if you wish to carry on with this subject please make a general discussion thread for it.

22. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I think you'll find on most credit cards, you are responsible for the first $50 of fraud related charges.

I do not wish to lead this thread off topic anymore please refrain from anymore comments along this subject line if you wish to carry on with this subject please make a general discussion thread for it.

23. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What a great service!

Timeline...
    • Contacted them on Saturday (24/8/02), only a few mins to get to speak to someone, they arranged next working day collection, in this case Tuesday because of the bankholiday.
    • Collected yesterday (27/8/02) @ 14:05.
    • Call at 12:00 noon today (28/8/02) saying that I'd been fixed.
    • Should be back here 2moro morning! (29/8/02).
    It is my first experiance of using Applecare, and I am very impressed!

24. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

They originally told u 10-14 days? I guess that's so they don't get your hopes up. Hope it all works out.

25. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That sounds great I've never had to use AppleCare. Though if it works that well I will be very pleased if I have to use it.