Please Help: School Project on World Views!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by crdean1, Nov 28, 2005.

1. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

If this is posted in the wrong place please move...

I have sort of an emergency for a class. We are studying world views (Christian Theism, Deism, Nihilism, Postmodernism, etc.) and I had an assignment that was a choice between a collage with pics and words detailing a particular world view, or interviewing someone asking sire's seven questions (from the book The Universe Next Door) and writing a corresponding paper:

Edit: See actual questions in post #3. (These questions were removed)

Needless to say, I chose the collage, and when I got to class tonight, I realized that when I missed a class, the professor had told everyone that the assignment was no longer a choice and we had to do the interview. I had emailed the professor when I missed and she did not tell me this, however, there were several confused people, and she is letting us turn in the assignment next Monday night.

What I need is someone to interview who does not hold a Christian world view. Preferably someone who does not believe in God. I would like to interview a volunteer via iChat (AIM, text) (because we have to turn in a record of the interview) at a time of their choice. It shouldn't take long given I have provided the questions above, but I am looking for someone who will give detailed responses.

If anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated. I look forward to learning something from this. I will be in and out with my regular job, and if any volunteers (I just need one, but I know that this is an odd request)would pm me with some times that are convenient (preferably sometime tomorrow....Texas (central) time), I will respond accordingly.

Sincere thanks.

crdean1

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Interesting i could answer all the questions except for the last one right off the bat because i have been asked them all the time by people that wonder why i don't really believe in a god. Last one is making me think. Probably the meaning of history is something to learn from as to not make the same mistakes twice.

Good luck ^_^

3. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

That is a good point on the last question. I should probably clarify the questions exactly as they are listed in my book. The ones above were copied from a website. For reference, these are the exact questions I would be asking:

1. What is real? (What is prime reality - the really real?)
    2. Where am I? (What is the nature of external reality?)
    3. Who am I? (What is a human being?)
    4. Where am I going? (What happens to a person at death?)
    5. what is true? (How is it possible to know anything at all?)
    6. What is important? (How do we know what is right and wrong?)
    7. Why mankind? (What is the meaning and purpose of history?)

Thanks. Also, if I get no responses and anyone feels like sending me a really long email, please feel free to do so at crdean1 at hotmail dot com.

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

I don't think they mean an American atheist, I think they mean a Hindu, Moslem, Sikh, Taoist etc. Basically an Asian. (in the geographical sense - including Arabs and Indians).

Make sure you highlight that these cultures, while sill believing in rationality, also have a lot of elements that we would call "superstitious". When my Indian (Sikh) friend was looking for a job, her mother made a special visit to the temple to pray that her daughter would be successful. When she got a job, the mother "paid off" the spiritual debt by working in the temple for an afternoon, helping to serve food. She's convinced that her prayer and effort helped the daughter get a job, and her belief is self reinforcing.

5. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

This will be my last post on the subject. If there is anyone that can help via email (lenghty responses to the 7 questions above), someone who may not have the time to ichat, that would be great as well.

I would be happy to mail you a $15.00 itunes GC for your time. Please let me know via email (listed in prev. post) or pm if you are interested in helping.

Thanks again.

crdean1

6. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

I find it amazing when people don't beleive in a God. I completly respect your opinion, but I find that amazing that you must believe in retrostpect that everything just appeared. That is harder to beleive in then a God or intellegent design. But sometime I even wonder...

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

People who don't believe in God don't necessarily believe that everything just happened. Most simply claim not to know how things got here and a belief in a religion or God is not a sufficient answer. That's what I think anyway.

8. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

1. Everything. If you can sense it, it is real.
    2. There is no external/internal/extra. Reality is what it is. In the eye of the beholder.
    3. A child of God.
    4. Heaven or Hell.
    5. What you hold to be true. Rather it is right or wrong. Again...eye of the beholder.
    6. By what is in your heart. Doesn't mean that what one person thinks is right is actually right. It is a matter of....eye of the beholder.
    7. Created to worship God through the lives we live.

9. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

True...

But you options are limited without some sort of higher being.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not really. I find it quite exciting not to know what will happen when I die. It'll be a new adventure- an unknown.

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

Hundreds of years ago, we believed that weather, diseases, even gravity came from a God or set of Gods. Now we know better.

12. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

13. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I guess I'll go to the local mosque or uu church. Any other ideas.

14. tristan macrumors 6502a

Don't you have any Asian friends at school? Just talk to their parents.

15. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Actually, I just secured an interview with the director of religious education at the Universalist Unitarian Church by my house, set for tomorrow at 10:00. It would be nice to have a back up, so for the first person to send me an email, I would still send the ITMS GC. I appreciate you guys reading all of this mess.

Thanks again!!

crdean1

Edit:
    If there is one thing I have learned from this so far, it is that I need to build relationships with a more diverse group of close friends, not necessarily just Christian friends. It is kind of funny how we can get comfortable in our bubble.

16. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

"We" being you and whoever. I still believe. That is that all things have been set in motion. Kindof like dominos, God set things into action that would transpire until today. Now that also could be seen as me implying fate as well with the whole domino analogy. I don't beleive in fate, but free will.

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    PM me, we'll set up a time to meet on ichat this weekend.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Free Will and Dominoes? Are they not mutually exclusive, in a Theory of Everything sense?

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

So Fat's Domino surviving Hurricane Katrina was a result of which one?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You have your Domino Theory, and I have mine. Let's just leave it at that, shall we?

;)

21. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Thanks guys, but I do now have two sources, one interview and one back up. I'll let you know if those do not work out.

ps. I love dominoes.