Please Help! Setup for USB wireless dongle on OS 10.2.8!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Blez007, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Blez007 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone! Any help on this issue would be monsterously appreciated!

Ignorant PC user here trying to help his girlfriend set up a cnet wireless dongle on her ibook with OS 10.2.8.

She is pretty inept beyond photoshop and I am a PC user so trying to do this over the phone has been a problem to say the least!

Here is the low down of the situation...

1. She has installed the drivers and software from the CD provided.

2. There is definately wireless in the air, other people in the house are using it.

3. When she plugs the USB dongle in the green LED flashes on and off intermitently and pretty randomly.

4. When she opens up i.e and tries to surf it says no internet connection.

5. She doesn't seem to be able to find a program showing what she can connect to or the signal strength?

Please try to be understanding and realise how little mac skills you have to work with here!!

Anyone who has experience of using a USB dongle rather than a card for their wireless on an ibook that could help would be knighted within days i promise!!

Thanks in advance

Jonathan Blezard

2. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

sounds like either the firmware isnt up to date, or the dongle isnt compatible with her mac...what is the brand, and model number?

3. Blez007 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a CNet Wireless-G USB Dongle.

The model number is CWD-854.

Thank you so much for trying to help me!

4. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

i simply looked it up on c-net.com and it says it is only compatible with windoze. id return the thing...i too am still searchin for a usb wireless solution for my 500mhz ibook

5. Blez007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know it is ''supposedly'' only windows compatible but you can make it work - i've pretty much got it working now just not 100% reliable.

Search on eBay there are USB wireless solutions for anything 10.2.5 upwards...

Adios