Please help soon-to-be switcher!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by umdjb, Dec 21, 2006.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I really want to buy a new intel mac and am contemplating a MBP CD Refurb or MB C2D new. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with refurbs and can tell me if they are like new. In other words, will I get one with scratches or dead pixels, and how long do they last?

Also, is it easy to install third-party ram on a MBP or MB? Who do you all recommend going to for installing extra RAM? What brand, site, company?

Thanks!

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

go for the refurb pro. the graphics card outweighs the C2D chip. And the extra screen real estate.

and the refurbs are all lightly used Working computers. If I bought a laptop from apple took it out of the box for a minute and then returned it, they can't sell it new. or return it with in the return policy 30 days i think.

On the MB you take out the battery and have accses to the ram. On the pro take the battery out and three screws. Both very easy.

3. Soton Speed macrumors member

Refurbs can also be new computers that have failed out of the box, been returned, had the failed parts replaced and thouroughly tested - something that doesn't happen when they first leave the factory.:rolleyes:

Crucial Ram - as recomended by Macrumors.com.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Just wanted to add that I have about 6 different 1GB sticks of Patriot memory (also from NewEgg.com) floating around in various machines here. Never had an issue with any of it.

6. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I'd definitely go for the refurbished MacBook Pro over the new one. I haven't heard many bad things at all about the refurbished computers from Apple, and I'll probably buy my next computer from the refurbished models.

As far as the memory goes, it's very easy to upgrade in the MacBook Pro, and a lot cheaper too. I've always recommended Data Memory Systems for memory. I've had no problems whatsoever with their products, and they've got great customer service. They sell RAM that has a lifetime warranty on it, so if anything should go wrong, they'll send you new RAM right away.

7. flir67 macrumors 6502

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I go to either Datamem.com or OWC to get Apple guaranteed RAM with a lifetime guarantee.

I would check with Datamem.com first and if you call by phone, you might save a bit for mentioning that you're a member on the MacRumors forums.

9. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I would just like to add that refurbs are a great deal from Apple. If you don't mind not getting the fancy box, you can save yourself some cash. I know a friend who always buys his laptops refurbished because they have probably been tested by a tech and are unlikely to be DOA (he uses MBP's for his photography business).

10. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i would personally go for the macbook, unless you really need the extra screen and dedicated graphics. also, battery life is longer for macbooks than the pro versions. and the 64 bit of the c2d will have the new macbooks last a little longer than the pros.

11. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i also heard the mbp's screens are pretty bad based on post #12 on this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=262641

the macbook's screen is the best one i've experinced, and it works just about anywhere, and seeing some people with the pros, they do look second rate compared to the macbooks.

12. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

64 bit won't really help in many situations, It's really just the ability to add more memory. It'll be a long time before 32 bit is phased out.

And the screen Having owned both a MB and MBP I find no difference, and in the stores, I also find no difference. It might just be me because its takes a lot to annoy or bug me.