Please help the puppies!

Discussion in 'Community' started by wdlove, Nov 7, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

It is incredible what some people will do to animals and even humans, just to make a little extra cash. I don't know how they can sleep at night.

I hope every MR member signs this petition, wdlove.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Signed......

Can't imagine being a part of something like that....

scem0

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Signed....

I'm pessimistic about how likely Oprah is to listen, but it'd be nice if she did....

5. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

That's terrible.

I hate to see animals abused like that (or any way really). I don't care if they are animals for eating, petting, or whatnot...I don't like it.

I hope that this petition can get somewhere even if it is an internet petition.

Mike

6. mypantsaretight macrumors newbie

I hope none of us can. I for one refuse to purchase anything from any pet store that sells puppies/cats and encourage everyone I know to act similarly. Many pet stores, including virtually all of the national chains get their animals from puppy mills.

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Forum for good work. I have a dog that was a runaway, has been determined by a world renown local breeder to be pure breed. There are plenty enough unwanted and cared for dogs that we can get rid of the bad breeders and still have plenty.

8. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

This is a terrible practice. I was made aware of it years ago belong to a pure breed club. So it is very sad that the practice continues. More educational awareness is what's needed. Those that purchase at a pet store just aren't aware until after they bring the puppy home and it's sick. Veterinarians are very aware of the practice. Now over 18,000 have signed the petition, thank you. I'm confident that once Oprah is aware of this she will so a show of public awareness.

9. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    this kind of stuff really makes me sick to my stomach which is hard to do. i have a dog and i love her to death. i bought a cat a year ago from my local APL and she's absolutely wonderful but i fear that she may be traumitised from whatever happened to her before she got to the APL (they are not sure). she's only about 1 1/2 - 2 years old but i'm glad i can give her a loving home with lots of clean water (filtered water to be exact). i only live in an apartment right now but i can't wait till i can afford a house so that i can care for more animals from the APL. man am i steaming mad right now. :mad:

10. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I am not sure that not buying from a pet store is a solution. What that does is mean that dogs and cats who were born on these "farms" at no fault of their own are denied a good family to love and take care of them. I agree that we need to get rid of these type of breeders, but not buying from pet stores is like treating the sympton and not the problem.

I understand people's thoughts on not buying from pet stores, I just not sure about it as mentioned above.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I tend to agree. Gotta get at the root and not just the fruit.
    How to do it is tricky, but penalizing the pets in stores doesn't seem to be the answer. It doesn't just affect the store owner, but the pets themselves.

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

We farm animals for many selfish reasons - I don't agree with this but it is just another example of mankinds "couldn't give a toss attitude".

The majority of us are guilty.

13. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

This is why I got my dog from the city pound -best dog ever! I can't handle this puppy-mill stuff. The problem with the pounds no kill shelters is that so many people only want puppies and the more mature dogs are either euthanized or stay in the shelter for a long, long time.

14. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

As the site says, though, those puppies often have medical problems, either genetic or from their poor treatment, or emotional problems because the mill environment doesn't allow for proper socialization. So you may end up with huge vet bills, or having to get rid of the dog anyway.

Animal rescue people are very valiant in their unwavering support of a thankless cause, it's true; but I'm not entirely sure of their attitude of "saving" the animal at any cost. I don't know that some of those dogs should have to suffer through the rest of their lives missing eyes and limbs and most of their teeth.

I'm also not sure that this is the kind of thing Oprah would take on, or that anything would happen if she did.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I signed FWIW...I agree with some of the reservations above though....this is a complicated problem that pits the best and worst of the way we do things as a society against each other, in terms of the successes and failures of our capitalistic, open market philosophy. But I still think we can do better than this.

16. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

My family has never bought a dog or cat. We always got our pets from the pound or SPCA. They were always such wonderful pets for us. I signed the petition, but I think getting Dateline or a similar show to do a piece on it, Oprah just doesn't have the kick.

17. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

i agree...Dateline or 20/20 would suffice...But i am sooo mad right now, that just erks me to no end! :mad:

18. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

When I was active with other breeders, the focus was to try to get the actual puppy farm closed down. It can be done when an investigation is made and finds health and safety violations. The only problem is that they go and setup somewhere else. So it is matter of hiting both supply and demand.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Surely there have been some shows on this or something similar. How about it wdlove? Maybe it has been a while, but I doubt this issue has been completely overlooked. If someone has done a show in the past, maybe they could do a follow up.

20. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I would agree with the supply/demand isssue if we were dealing with inanimate objects, like bad food, drugs or the like, but I can't whole heartily agree with abandoning animals in pet shops just because of where they were born/raised. It is not their fault and they shouldn't be punished.

I do not buy pets on a regular basis (infact all of my cats were either "found" us or we got from a friend). I don't go through pet stores because of price not because of were they may get there animals. We need to find a way to get these shops to get there animals elsewhere without harming and punishing the inocent animals.

21. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

This one hurts... My family & I are huge animal lovers... We've had them all & still do... Up until yesterday, we've gotten every single animal from the "pound"- great animals... About 2 years ago we rescued a boxer who by all standards was "unadoptable"- food agressive- real uptight- obviously abused- & an already intimidating animal without the nasty growl...This dog (Mooch) just growls to hear himself growl...lol... We don't even notice it anymore because he's usually licking someone when he growls...lol.. To a make a long story short- I love this dog, & all of his issues, so much that I told my wife someday I would love to have a Boxer puppy... Mooch was already an adult when we adopted him... Last week my wife took a 4 hour drive each way to go & get me an 11 week old puppy for my birthday... When I asked her about it she said she met the mother & father & it was only them & the 2 pups all living in the family's home... I sure hope these private breeders aren't doing the same thing... I feel kind of guilty after seeing that puppy mill thing because I'm sure I could have rescued another boxer- but I guess I was kind of selfish & wanted to experience a boxer from puppy on... This is my 1st puppy- of many dogs- let me tell you, training a puppy is hard !!! Fun, but tough... Lil' Buford is lucky he's cute.;-)..

22. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

What about all the cows, lambs, pigs that go through abattoirs?
    Not to mention the chickens and ducks that are treated awfully.

Maybe it's just because we think of cats and dogs as pets and associate them with more human characteristics.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am guilty of doing the "puppy thing"; though mine was from a rescue service. Chewey (for Chewbaca) is now a healthy 2 1/2 year old lab/chow mix. We did try "older" dogs, but there were too many issues that we both had too little time or understanding for.

For Chewey though, he has found a loving home. He was housebroken at 8 weeks when we got him. He is the "belle of the ball" at the dog park. Everyone there knows him, and laments when he doesn't show up. Even at the doggie daycare center, Chewey has an open spot anytime he wants, no matter how busy they are. And even at the vet, the staff knows his name (with 400+ dogs that use that vet I find surprising).

Just last week, he took a treat and broke it half and gave half of it to his "girlfriend" at the dog park. After a tough day at work, there is nothing better than Chewey snuggling up close and sitting down leaning in to one of us for his "welcome home" strokes. He and I can't go to sleep without his total "facial" that he gives me.

Puppy mills IMO are wrong. Like Chewey, there are too many puppies available through other means (shelters or rescue services). I am dismayed at the high-end breeders that don't want to taint the "line" with a mixed breed or a bad "seed" as I was told once by a breeder. Chewey is very well adjusted considering he is the product of a breeder that had their bitch impregnated out side here breed. The pups were dropped off at the rescue service just 2 to 3 weeks after birth.

Sorry for going on about Chewey. But he is the second high in my life (of course my lover is the first love of my life :) ). It just shows the love one can find by not going through a place that uses puppy mills to supply them.

24. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hmmmmmm, a valid point.
    Somehow we look the other way, and grill the steaks and bbq the chicken.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

IMO you are a saint for taking an "older" dog. As I said we tried several times, but for us we did not have the time to really make it work. Sitka was a shining example. He was a lovable German Shepard mixed breed. Though in a 1200 sq ft TH, he was a bit much. The shelter that we got him from appreciated our comments about his temperament. We were heart broken taking him back to the shelter. But because of our assessment, Sitka was moved to a home that is more of a farm. And he has the 24/7 attention that he needed and wanted now.