Please help this hopeless newb...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chea, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Chea macrumors newbie

I need a new laptop for school.

I hate the 12" so don't even mention it.

I am looking for a deal.

I think I found it:

14" iBook 1.33ghz
    256 MB of DDR SDRAM Supports up to 1.25GB
    60 GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    14.1 inch TFT active-matrix XGA color display
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM
    Slot Loading Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CDRW)
    FireWire 400 port;two high speed USB 2.0 ports
    Lithium Battery up to Six Hours of Running Time
    Built in Ethernet and Modem
    Built-in AirPort Extreme Wireless Networking (801 11g)
    VGA video output;s-video and composite video output

$850. Brand new in the box.

What do you think?

2. brooksfow macrumors newbie

I'd buy it. The only addition you'd need to make would be more RAM.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You do realise that the screen resolution for the 12" and 14" are identical?

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Took the words right out of my mouth ...

What's so great about the 14" that's vile about the 12"?

5. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

Maybe he simply does not like the 12". He clearly stated that he wasn't interested in it so why budge on him. He won't buy it so there isn't a point.

Thats not a bad price. Only thing I would change is to atleast get another 256 of RAM.

6. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

That's an UNBELIEVABLE price.

Definitely upgrade the ram, I would get at least another 512, or you'll think the computer is much slower than it is.

The graphics card really sucks compared to the one in the new iBooks, (which isn't a top performer itself, same vram but that's not everything), so I hope you're not a gamer.

It will work beautifully for most things though. Even the ram intensive Adobe CS2 programs run just fine, not at dual G5 speeds, but perfect for home/school/general amateur use.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I have the identical computer but with an 80GB HD and 768 MB RAM. It handles everything I throw at it -- 6, 10 apps open at a time, photoshop, fireworks, dreamweaver, MS Office, you name it. Great computer. Even survived spilling an entire can of pop (soda) on it.

8. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

If you want to do photoshop 256 is just way to slow!

9. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Looks like the same as mine. It's a great notebook, and will do most things.

I'm still only on 256 RAM at the moment (been looking to upgrade for a while but haven't got round to it), but I would recommend upping it.

It's a great machine but it all depends on what you want to do with it, as it will struggle a bit with pro apps, but general day-to-day stuff will be fine.

::20ROGERSC::

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I think you misunderstood, I am not trying to budge chea to either model. I have no vested interest whatsoever in which model he opts for. I was merely trying to point out that if one of the reasons chea was against the 12" was because of the small screen real estate, going bigger to the 14" isn't going to help. It's a a surprisingly common misconception.

Point taken?

11. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

I was unaware that the iBooks had that good a graphics card...
    OMGWTFBBQ!!1 Did they downgrade or something???

All I'm saying is, procede with caution.

12. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

Sorry if I came off rude in my last post, I just read a lot on here about people bashing others for choosing the 14" over the 12".

Your thread topic says newb so I assume you are, lol. You will most likely want to upgrade that RAM as everyone will say, and incase you didn't know, crucial.com is probably the most recomended place to do that (just incase you didn't know). Figured I would mention that before you go buying memory from Apple.

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ditto

14. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

The 12" iBooks and Powerbooks are hard on the eyes. I don't care if people say the screen real estate is the same, the fact is, the regular guy wants a screen that is significantly bigger because it is simply way more comfortable on the eyes.

To be honest, everyone on the macrumors forum almost had me going to buy the 12" powerbook or 12" ibook, but i just could not stand the 12" screen. ultimately, if the 12" is comfortable enough for you and you need portability, get the 12". but for myself and many others, the 14" screen is more comfortable and a much better buy.