Please help - Trouble setting up network

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Awimoway, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I admit that I am a total idiot where anything technically demanding is concerned, but I really want to make this work.

I have two 10.2 machines with airport cards and an Airport base station. One mac is connected to the station. I have AppleTalk via Airport turned on for both, and Personal File Sharing, FTP and Remote Login are all turned on. Both computers can access the Internet just fine. What they can't do is access each other, and I have tried more than one method:

Finder > Go > Connect to Server > ...
    I can see my computer by doing this. I can also see about a thousand others because I live on campus and am using the campus LAN. But when I click on my other computer, it asks for a name and password. It defaults to my user name which is the same on both computers, but the password field is blank. It hasn't accepted anything I've tried. How/where do I set the password? Am I missing something? (I can login as guest, but can only use the drop box if I lower the permissions on it so that everyone on the campus LAN can use it, which is not acceptable.)

The other method is to set up a temporary Computer to Computer Network via Airport. I can log both computers in, but I can't see anything after I do this. Finder > Go > Connect to Server produces only the computer I am using (not the other I hope to connect to). Alternatively, Finder > Go > Computer shows nothing, nor does Computer > Network—here, under servers, I see only the computer I am using. How do I actually use the computer to computer network? So far it seems pointless.

My final question is if there is a way to make it possible to access not just the public folder drop box, but all of the folders and files of the other computer on my network (assuming, of course, that I can even figure out how to connect them). If so, how, specifically is this done?

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The password you type in is the administrator password for the computer that is serving. Once you do this, you will be able to access all the files on that computer. If you need to set your password, just go to System Preferences>Users and you can edit the info from there.

If you are not the admin on the other computer, you cannot access all the files... only the dropbox.

irmongoose

3. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. That explained a lot and gave me the faith to try harder with that password. It turns out that the user name was screwed up. The log in window would default to My Name when what I needed to do was change it to the shortname: myname. Now I can connect over my campus network beautifully, although I have no idea how sevure the connection is. I'm also still stumped about the computer to computer connection.

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well I'm glad you figured it out... but sorry I can't help you on that one, I haven't tried it before.

irmongoose