Please help: wanting to watch UK television on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zoowatch, May 5, 2006.

1. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

my flat is in Sheffield
    i'm starting from scratch... currently there's no TV at my place
    i'd like to buy eyeTV from Elgato, connect it to my Power Mac and watch it on my display.

Question:
    is it possible that I...

subscribe to Sky digital... connect sky set-top box to eyeTV... which model of eyeTV do I need? is the picture quality good?

buy a freeview box... connect it to eyeTV... which model of eyeTV do I need? is the picture quality good?

when I get Sky or freeview... I assume that I must also pay the TV license right?

2. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

u will need an elegato that handles a digital input and picture quality is good check thier site out for more info

3. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Legally, you require a TV licence as soon as you own any equipment that is capable of receiveing a TV signal. Freeview/Sky boxes, including those that only connect to your Mac, fall into this category.

I have an Elgato EyeTV410 (which picks up Freeview), and it's stunning... even with an indoor ariel (albeit not with the one that shipped with the 410). But now there are cheaper alternatives... check out the Elgato website and the Apple online store.

Dunno about Sky, but I am pretty sure that Elgato do something for that too.

Make sure that whatever you get comes with Elgato's EyeTV software, which is wonderful.

Good luck
    SL

4. Zoowatch thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your advice :)