Please help? Why won't my Mini play purchased ITunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac'inmama, May 6, 2005.

1. mac'inmama macrumors regular

I just got this Ipod mini today. I have had Itunes for quite some time. So I charged it up and hooked it up to Itunes, downloaded what I wanted to put on it. What's the problem? I have all of the songs IN the Ipod AND they are all showing up, but only the songs that came from CDs that I put into Itunes will play in my Ipod. It won't play all of the stuff I bought.

Here's what I've done based on a previous web search on this subject:

I downloaded the latest Itunes upgrade (both my Ibook & my Emac, although the Emac is what I have the mini hooked up to).

I downloaded the latest Mini Ipod software update from Apple's site, both computers

Ran my software updates on both computers just to be sure.

Still won't play the stuff I bought.

Any ideas?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no issues playing the songs in iTunes either?? the only thing i could think of is an authorization issue, i would make sure that the eMac or whatever computer you are useing to transfer the songs to the iPod is authorized to play the songs, re-authorize it if you have to

3. mac'inmama thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. No, ITunes is playing them fine and never had a problem before. I just deauthorized both computers and reauthorized them (they use the same account).

I am so frustrated right now! I have been at this literally for hours. Maybe I just need to step away from the computer! Other than this, I am so thrilled about the Ipod and it plays my CD music great! I wish I didn't have this downer right now!

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm not sure of the problem, but your iPod has a warranty, and this is an odd issue - call Apple.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah since that didnt work i would give apple a call and see if they can resolve the issue, its certainly strang in my opinion. sorry i couldnt be of more help, hope it gets solved

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

When you say the iPod mini won't play purchased music from iTMS, what does/doesn't it do? Are songs visible on the playlist on the iPod mini? Does it give you some error message? Does it show them but when you press Play it does nothing? Anything like that?

7. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Silly question, but have you registered the mini yet? This is just a flying leap thought, but maybe in someway the registration of the ipod "authorizes" it to play purchased songs.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not just mini's with this problem

My 4G 40GB iPod has just developed this problem. I was happily playing iTMS purchased songs on Monday at work... I was on a course Tues/Wednesday and today when I woke the iPod up (from deep sleep), my iTMS songs don't play. They come up on the screen... but skip through to the next one.

They're still playing at home on my Mac just not on the iPod!

9. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Add me to the list of those experiencing problems with playing purchased music—on an iPod Shuffle.

Interestingly, it's only the album that I just purchased that won't play, all of my previously purchased albums will play on my Shuffle, but when I try to play songs from this newly purchased album the Shuffle locks up, and the green light stays on. Weird. I submitted a query to Apple, after having restored the settings on the iPod, repaired permissions... all the usual stuff.

I should also note (1) that I've even re-downloaded one of the songs that doesn't play, and again it plays on my PB but not on my Shuffle, (2) my songs were purchased from the Canadian Store, which, presumably, means that at least 3 stores/ipod combinations are affected, and (3) the album that I just downloaded is new to the store this week.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, fwiw, my shuffle still plays purchased music just fine, even after upgrading to iTunes 4.8.

11. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I had suspected that the music I purchased, which had just been added to the store, was encoded differently (updated DRM or something), and that perhaps this was the source of the problem. To further complicate things, my fiancée can play the songs on her 3G iPod. But, for some reason, the songs on this album (and only those) refuse to be played on my Shuffle, everything else works fine.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Good news! I reset my iPod and ta da, all my purchased music started playing again. The annoying thing tho was that when I resynched it to iTunes, it updated the songs with new playcounts and last played dates of yesterday. Considering that I'd left my iPod running through my Purchased playlist to see if any of them played as opposed to skipping to the next song, this is a little frustrating when I come to look at my 'not heard recently' playlist!

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Spoke too soon! Today my iPod decided to freeze on me; changed to a new song and just stopped with none of the buttons working (and no, it wasn't on hold). I reset it and then the iTMS songs not playing came back.

A trip to the Apple Store might be in order for it!