Please help with a project ---

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by winwintoo, Apr 10, 2005.

1. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    This may not be a Garageband question, but you guys will probably know the answer so here goes.....

I'm going to be doing some teaching via a local cable tv channel and before I go into the studio and make a fool of myself (I've never taught like this before) I would like to record myself to see what it's like.

I'm going to be teaching some PhotoShop, so I've been able to hook the computer up to a VCR and record what's happening on the screen, but what I'm saying to describe the screen action is almost as important and that's the part I can't get working.

Everyone I've asked locally seems to think I should just be able to run a cable from the audio out on the computer to the audio in on the VCR - I wish :confused:

Does anyone have any ideas. I've been trying to use the built-in mic on the PowerBook that I'm using. I don't have an external microphone, but I can get one if that will help. I downloaded Wiretap Pro, but that didn't help - or I didn't know how to use it.

Please help - I really want this to work.

I know the cable station has all the latest gear to make a broadcast quality production, I'm just doing this for my own practice and to perfect my lessons before I go into the studio.

Thanks, Margaret
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Hi Margaret

If I were you, I'd get a clip-on mic or one that can hang on a lanyard and run it straight to the video-recorder but it first must go through a small microphone pre-amplifier.

The audio-in on a video recorder needs a signal that is many times stronger than a microphone signal so it needs to be boosted, hence the pre-amplifier.

Here is an example of one, although this is a UK model. I'm sure you can find it cheaper in the U.S. However I can't recommend any US retailers from London :) Any big electronics website should stock something similar.