Please help with ibook g3!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kmarketing, Jan 29, 2006.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have an old g3 500 ibook that I am trying to fix up to give to my sister. It boots up fine but after 10 minutes or so, it always seems to shut down by itself.

Do you have any ideas on what it could be? Could it be the fan or something related to the power?

Please help with any ideas.

Thanks so much!!

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Does it shut down both when hooked up to the AC adapter and when running on battery power?

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Ditto the last question.

If you're worried about overheating, you could buy her a fan-equipped base (they are angled stands with fans attached to them). Also, check the Apple site, there was a gen of G3 ibooks that went through a motherboard recall; yours might qualify...

4. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

It definitely seems to happen more with the battery only, but it also happens while plugged in. But it stays on longer than 10 minutes, and I was able to put a fresh install of panther on it so I have no idea what it could be.

Also, everytime the machine is unplugged, and even though the battery holds a good charge, the date and time resets.

Unfortunately the serial number does not fit into the recall program, but I though the 500mhz were a little more trustworthy than its successors.

Thanks again!