Please help with Mario Kart DS online play

Discussion in 'Games' started by flamedraconis, Nov 19, 2005.

1. flamedraconis macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2005
    Sorry I am new...but I was just wondering if someone could walk me through how to set up the wireless play. This is because I tried and it said I needed a WEP key and then I typed the key in and then another error came up that said it could still not access the point. Then I unlocked the airport base station so that it turned to the blue lock but then I came up with another error that said "Unable to connect to an access point." I would really like to play some of you so any help would be great. Thank you
  2. kaylee macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2004
    Here's a few links to help pages:

Getting started at home help from
    WEP key help from Nintendo Wifi official website
    Main page for support on

And some stuff from various threads:

From this thread : MarioKart DS
    Quote GFLPraxis:
    Nope. I had a friend with the same problem. The Netgear router is one of those that doesn't work properly with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. You have to enter the settings manually, according to Nintendo.

We worked on it for a while and it finally worked with these settings on the DS:

IP address: (the last number can be anything between 2 and 254, just make sure its not the same as another computer on the network)

Subnet mask:

Gateway: (or your router's network IP if its different, netgear defaults to that)

Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:

Try that and see if it works.

Quote TheGimp from
    Airport and Mario Kart
    Finally did it! I'm up an playing Mario Kart online using only the airport extreme card in my powerbook, which is connected directly to the broadband modem.

Allthough I had previously used for the gateway, as takao suggests above, never worked for the IP address. When using that for the IP, I always got the message "connected to access point but cannot connect to server."

What I did instead was add "10" to the last number cluster in the IP detected by my PSP in infrastructure mode.
    Talking to the Nintendo WIFI rep had only thrown me off previously, since she recommended adding "1" to the IP detected by the PSP, whereas adding "10" was what was suggested in another thread (I think the one from gamefaqs).

So these are the manually inputed DS settings that work for me:
    IP: (PSP had reported which, like, did not work)
    Subnet Mask: (PSP had reported, which does not work)
    Gateway: (reported by the PSP under "router")
    Primary DNS: (reported by PSP)
    Secondary DNS: (ditto)

Just for reference, typing "ifconfig" in terminal produced the same results as takao posted above.

And for those new to the discussion, the prerequisite for all the above is to create a network by going to: system preferences-->sharing-->share connection from "ethernet" to computers using "airport". I named my network "tneduts" before clicking "start" and then manually entered that name in the Mario Kart SSID field before entering any of the above numbers.
  3. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    It would we best to just search this site for that kind of info. Honestly, the stuff the poster before me quoted is not quite the latest info. In fact, what ended up getting me online is somewhat different than that which is quoted above. Try searching the macrumors forums for "mario kart" and "airport" if those two terms are relevant to your setup, and then scroll to the several few messages in each thread. That should get you close to the answer.
  4. flamedraconis thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2005

I got it to work! Thank you so much for all of the help :)
  5. flamedraconis thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2005
    Just another quick question

Do I always have to be plugged into my Airport by a computer connection or can I do it some other way. I was just wondering because when I turn on that connection, I can no longer use Safari or iChat and I didn't know if there was a way to set this up so that I can use Safari but at the same time play Mario Kart DS. Thanks :)
  6. kaylee macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2004

In your original post you mentioned having an airport base station, which means your DS and computer should be able to access the internet at the same time. Have you checked that your DS isn't setup to get the same IP as your computer?