Please Help with PC Dual Displays

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by EJBasile, Sep 3, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Hey everyone.

I have a dell 4550 dekstop with a 64mb NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420. I want to have dual displays (i've picked them out, there VGA 17" sharp LCDs) so what kind of video card should i get since they don't make the GeForce4 MX 420 anymore. Also what software would I use to control the two monitors in extended desktop mode? I have the nView Desktop Mangager software and the standard display control pannel software.

Can anyone assist me?

2. neoserver macrumors 6502

As long as you have two video cards (usually one AGP and one PCI) and the appropriate drivers installed and are running Windows all the "Managment" software is included. I run a dual monitor setup in Windows XP Pro on one of my non-mac computers and i use a Geforce4 MX 440 (AGP) and a TNT2 Riva something card in one of my PCI slots to drive the second monitor.

Windows should automatically sense the second monitor, if not then you need to go into display properties and you should see a grapical represenation of two monitors, all you need to do is right-click on the second one and click "attached" or something like this.

By the way i know nothing about dual-head cards since i don't use them :)

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Two video cards aren't necessary for using two displays, as long as your one card supports two displays. From what I found on nVidia's site, it seems like your card does, but I couldn't find anything saying something definite.

And VGA LCD monitors? Blech :p

4. neoserver macrumors 6502

Yes, if the card you have supports dual displays then the dual video card is pointless. but in my case my card didn't so i had to buy two. Guess i should have checked up on the card he was using. :eek:

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah you shoulda :p